1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Doubles target setting--HELP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Need some help to properly set the right target.This target is "tipped" down on the right side during flight. Also what is the proper height to set-considering still air-no wind etc. A protractor ? with a magnet I saw someone use at another club to determine this height.Thanks for a reply--Dennis Mastrolia.( This is the right bird while throwing doubles).Also at what speed should these double targets be set. Thanks-

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dennis, You been hiding somewhere?? :) Give me a call for your info. :)

3. DENNISMASTROLIA1

I was at the Club on Saturday-Sunday too for a while till the rain came. Good turnout from Harvard!! How is that Blaser??? E mail me with your tel.#-Dennis #1 and Dennis#2 are having problems with the Pat Trap at DF&G. Or call me -781-910-0313. Thanks--Dennis.

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Dennis to keep the right bird from tipping you have to move the guide arm on the lanch plate it looks like a half cicrle you move it in about a 1/16 of a inch at a time till the bird flaten out if you go to far it will start breaking birds telling you went to far and have to back off this only for the right brid only.Starting from are 16 yard setting of 21.5 degree's and 42 mph for speed I change the setting to 23 degree's and 6 extra turn of spring for speed dose it for are traps and a starting point for you. Speed should be 39 mph and for angle get two shooter one to stand between station 1 and 2 in the middle and the other between 4 and 5 in the middle the right brid should be a stright a way from 1,2 and the left brid should be stright a way form 4,5 if not you will have to move the switches on the angle stop on the mechine to correct it if the brids are out,as per the still air rule these setting are for the frist half of the flite after that they are on there owne on windy days you start from your starting points and adjust from there and try to get as close as you can.Hope this helps

5. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

It sounds like you are talking about the doubles finger whiz. I thought moving that forward raised the right target to level the elevation of the pair. If the pair is level and the right bird is coming out tipped what do you do?

6. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Something that confuses me is the difference in velocity/distance between singles and doubles targets. One poster mentiond setting singles targets at 42 MPH and doubles targets at 39 MPH. Why the difference? Why not set doubles targets at the same velocity as singles targets? Just curious. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Tom, Nothing in the rules says you can't set them the same. It's just the minimum. (39) for dbles.

I think most shooters prefer the 39-40 range. That's what they end up by the time the trap warms a bit.

Rick in Mt.

8. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks--The target is most definitely tipped-especially at it's peak and while in flight approaching peak. After peak it's just a mess altogether.Dennis.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dennis, Computerwhiz right after your post has it all. I've found as someone mentioned 39 to 40 works best. Sorry I missed you, I must have been down to the new hot topped fields with Sam.

10. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thanks Bob-I will review his thread--Dennis. I checked out Forest City Trap-in GA. Very impressive.

Leo Suhre thanked this.
  11. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Pat makes an extention plate for doubles,it adds about 6 inches to the throwing deck. Also make sure the rubber on the throwing arming arm is exactley 1/2" all the way from the back to the front.If not it could cause a lisp.Make sure to rough the leading edge of the rubber up a bit to get a good spin on the bird,this will help as well. Also the doubles finger should be 10 1/2" long. There have been many variations over the years. ATA and PITA have standardized on 10 1/2" as I understand it. Ive noticed all the birds left and right on doubles have a lisp like this,especially if they are to slow.

Dennis 3?
    CGESC
    Oregon

12. DENNISMASTROLIA1

Thank you all for the great answers-Will check everything today--Dennis.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whats the results?

14. GoldenWest

GoldenWest Member

The plate you mention is made by Golden West Industries, it was done so that the target could ride flat coming off the plate. That would take alot of the curl out of the right target. The right target on doubles rides almost half off the plate on a pat trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pat trap adjusting doubles targets

pat trap angle set for singles

pat trap problems