1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PAT trap doubles set up

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KellarLabs, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KellarLabs

KellarLabs TS Member

Being a SC shooter and not a ATA or trap guy, could someone please tell me the procedure for setting a PAT trap to throw doubles?
    Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

A good starting point is to add 8 turns to the spring and move it up 4 notches on the elevation and center the field.

Raytrapshoot100 thanked this.
  3. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Your milage may very, but as I do (with fine result).

1: Where the bird drops out of the rack there are two rollers - you need to unlock the second one by pulling the small lever up, then turning it.

2: Bring the machine up 3 notches.

3: Crank the spring tension up about 8 times.

4: Switch the machine to manual, and center it.

Checking the targets, stand halfway between posts 1 & 2 and halfway between 4 & 5 - the targets should be straight aways from there. Then check your height and distance.

4. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

You do not need any tools to switch from singles to doubles.

1. Get into the trap house and flip the toggle switch from AUTO to MANUAL.

2. Rotate the trap until it is throwing a single target as a straight-away for post 3. Next to the toggle switch is the two buttons to move the trap. The trap must be on and the arm is set do do this. Leave toggle on manual.

3. Rotate the carousel so the singles/doubles rollers are free. A target will drop. Pull the target off the arm and put it back in the sleeve.

4. Flip the roller over. It will say singles on one side and doubles on the other. You want to flip it to doubles.

5. Rotate the carousel again until the roller catches. It may drop 2 targets now. Its ok, just take them off the arm and put them back in the sleeves

6. Crank the tension arm 10 times. This is the recommended amount to get you where you need to be. I have found more like 12-13 is better.

7. USUALLY ONE TIME ONLY ADJUSTMENT: If the right target is lower than the left, you have to adjust the Doubles finger. It is a sickle looking piece of metal the right target will ride one as it is being thrown off the tray. To raise the height of the right target, loosen and push in, opposite to lower.

It should take you no longer than 3 minutes to set the trap once you go through the procedure. #7 is a one time adjustment that is usually done the first time the trap is installed. you probably do not have to touch it.

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

If your putting more than 8 cranks on your Pat your nuts!!! It just is amazing how some clubs will not do the research to throw good targets!!!! 12-13 throws them in to different counties.........GOOD GREIF!!!!

GS

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Thanks Alf...THAT is EXACTLY my point.........Give them proper distance and speed requierments and let them adjust their own trap. I can promise you you if someone is putting 12-13 cranks they are either 1. Throwing SOFT 16yd targets, 2. Part of the mentality "put-em in the air, so we can hit them" or 3 They have one messed up machine............

GS

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Good advice above. Worthwhile to invest in the new doubles finger from either Pat Trap or Bob Schultz if you haven't already. You could invest in radar gun if you don't already have access to one. Set the right target at 39/40 mph.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I mostly agree with Big Al 29's procedure. I would point out however that while >some< Pat's have the roller you turn around (item #4), others are like 90T3200 described where you unlock the roller by lifting and turning it a quarter turn.

I DEFINITLY agree that 8 turns from the proper singles speed >ain't< enuf', depending on the condition of the rubber "spring" it'll take from at least 9 and maybe more! The two Pats I play with------one with a brand new "spring" requires 9 turns, the other with an older "spring" takes 11.

John C. Saubak

9. BAP

BAP TS Member

We set ours by speed using the Pat Pal and a radar gun. Measuring the speed right off the arm we throw a single target 52 mph and then change it to doubles without adding any more spring . This generally equates to 11 to 12 turns and I see very little difference in a spring or rubber machine. Bill Parson Jr.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to get a pat trap to not throw so wide of doubles

how to set a pat trap for doubles

how to set pat trap too trown doubles

pat trap doubles

pat trap doubles finger
pat trap setting for doubles
pat trap switching to doubles
pat-trap singles to doubles