1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat trap chips targets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by romie, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romie

romie Active Member

The trap keeps chipping the targets.We backed off the roller springs but it still seems puts a small chip on the edge.The manuel said oil the rollers and it still chips the edge where the roller hits.We barely have any pressure on the wheels..any Ideas?
    Monty

2. setter

setter Member

Take a look at the elevator, i.e. get in the traphouse with the pull cord, stay clear of the machine, operate the machine. Watch the target drop onto the elevator, elevator needs to (when down) be flush with the target table, this is probably where you are getting the chip. I could go on but call Pat-Trap, They will send you the procedure to clean the elevator. Also, early machines had hydraulic elevator operation, later ones, "G's" are mechanical, check the springs, 1 extention spring and at the bottom a compression spring.

Also the manual will tell you how to set the tension on the roller plates, you need to re-set it, and for good measure replace the 4 roller o-rings if they are not fresh, the o-rings can cause this type of problem.

3. romie

romie Active Member

maybe it's the roller rings it's making the chip before it drops in down on the throwing arm.You can look at the carosel after you have shot a round and they all have nicks facing the outside thats after we took off all the tension
    thanks
    monty

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Those roller rings have rubber o-rings around them. The elevator is pretty gentle on targets. Something else isn't right. Calling Pat-Trap is the next step. Keep us posted. I sevice our machine, at the club, and am curious, would like to know. Dave

5. setter

setter Member

Romie,

Its possible that the doubles roller isn't rolling, If this is the type that is removed from the roller pin, check to see if it made of two pieces, on this style the two pieces need to rotate freely. You can clean with mineral spirits and blow dry and oil. If it is the plastic type clean with compressed air and oil. Insure that both rollers turn freely. Keep the oil off the O-rings.

Dave,

You are correct about the elevator but both springs have to be intact for the mechanical type and the elevator needs to be clean. The elevator can "stick" against the guides at the throw plate, and possibly at the rod guide. Also an o-ring could have broken.

By the way - set your roller tension at 14 lbs, if no scale then use 5/16 inch from the end of the rod to the set nut.

6. romie

romie Active Member

Setter ,you may have it because the rubber isn't a year old it's a reconditioned older model and . We oiled the plate under the roller but the roller is on a fixed pin. .I think the elevator is ok.
    I hope it's that easy.

7. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

If you have a SW style older machine look at the TARGET GUIDE SPRINGS. Have not had the problem (yet) on the newer G series.<br>
    <br>
    The problem that we had was, that as the turret rotated the targets sliding against the guide springs drew the metal out and created a sharp point on the front side (front of the machine) of the spring which cut diamond shaped notches in the birds, breaking lots of them. Run you finger (CAREFULLY) on the edge of the spring that the bird has final contact with. IF you feel a bump or sharp point change the springs. This drove us nuts for a while until we figured it out.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Marco, good call. As the targets come around the guide springs are supposed to align the stack, if they aren't positioned correctly or have a flaw they can damage targets.

HM

9. C1

C1 Member

Why doesn't PAT publish a book of all the fixes? Why must owners always "call" PAT to find the answer? This a a simple machine and most problems should have simple answers that could be compiled in a book. Seems that by now they should have a book with all those answers so they wouldn't be on the phone so much. Maybe someone with a lot of PAT time could publish a book and sell it.

I am a PAT trap fan since I saw one way back in 1994 but come-on no manual to fix common problems in the last 13 years, that's way overdue.

Gary Riecke

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

First, chek out the "o" rings & make sure the wheels are turning freeley, One thing I haven't seen mentioned above is the target brush. It's an easy change and you'll be surprised the change in the targets with a new one in place. Remove the turret and it's a simple change. When they go bad, the targets appear to break a few feet in front of the machine with no apparent reason.

Big Jack

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Gary, I asked Ken Duncan that very question this evening and he said "But there are two manuals, one for SW one for G. They are on the pattrap.com website, free for the downloading.

Darned if he isn't right!

Neil

12. romie

romie Active Member

Marco Polo wins the prize.It is a S/ W trap and the second spring was making the diamond chip in the target.I just bent the top of the spring back a little and it throws perfect. Thanks, I thought it was the wheel but I was never sure untill I read your thread.

Thanks
    Monty

13. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

We have a newer G series machine and it shaves a little piece off every target, no broken birds. Just wondering if there is anything I should look at?
    Thanks,
    Grif

14. setter

setter Member

Romie,

My keen sense of the obvious, but now is the time to replace that target spring, if it has that much wear its subject to breaking and you need the #2 spring. The #1 and #3 springs are not needed and do not appear on the G model.

Big Jack,

For what it's worth - it isn't necessary to remove the turret to replace the brush. Just remove the 2 target columns nearby and use a long #2 Phillips.

Grif,

Shouldn't happen, where on the target does the shaving occur?

15. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

The problem we had was, when using the Bio Targets, that the targets dragging/sliding on the target springs carved grooves in the springs as the turret rotated. This drew a sharp point on the trailing edge of the target spring which chipped SOME of the targets, which broke when they were thrown. I have some springs that look like they were made out of laminated steel. Very clear grooves in the metal. <br>
    We have also had some of the springs bent towards the turret which also chipped the targets. Don't know how it got bent, but willing to bet that the kids loaded targets ON TOP of the springs when loading nearly empty machines. I just took duck bill pliers and bent the spring away from the turret.

I have been asking Pat Trap about a SERVICE/REPAIR MANUAL for a while now. I bet if we all pool our knowledge we could create our own.

16. J.P.

J.P. TS Member

My read on Pat is they tend to be proud of their machine, but to the point of arrogance. I wish they would suck it up and realize, although they have the best machine on the market, it, like all things man made, is not perfect and subject to wear. Yes, someone please write a troubleshooters manual. I will say Pat has always been more than helpful in their phone conversations. Good shooting!!

17. C1

C1 Member

Neil;

I didn't have any idea that those manuals existed with all the questions on here about how to fix my PAT trap. Looks like good information.

Gary

18. romie

romie Active Member

Gary you can purchase the manuel for $8.00 from Pat.and I tried my best to get them to publish a troubleshooting manuel that and offered to help with it.For some legal reason it is not going to happen.They are quick to help you when they are open and if you are a club with regular hours it's fine, I shoot after work and on weekends.
    Thanks for responding
    Monty

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Neil- Thanks for the link to the Pat manuals and thanks to Ken D. for telling you about them. Looks like I have a lot of pages to download and print.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.