1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap Capability

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauser, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauser

Hauser Member

One of the questions asked during the 3 hole target debate was can Pat Traps throw a 3 hole targets?

I checked Pat Trap's web-site and didn't not find the answer so I e-mailed them a received the following answer:

Dear Mr. Hauser:

I didn’t know this off the top of my head 34 degrees is a two-hole target and 44 degrees is a three-hole target. On page 23 of the G manual is the explanation of target angles and under the heading Two-Hole target at the end of the paragraph it gives the explanation for setting a three-hole target too.

For a three hole target the switches are set to 5 ¼ inches a part (two hole is 4 1/4” apart). The Pat-Trap can throw much wider than a three-hole target if desired, just don’t permit the cylinder to hit the ends and bottom out.

I am sorry that Lori and I didn’t recognize the significance of 44 degree right off.

All my best,

Amy Patenaude., VP

Pat-Trap, Inc.

Jerry Hauser

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

All of our traps are set at 44 degrees . We don't get any complaints that I am aware of. It seems to me that most clubs in this area of the country use the same settings.

3. otnot

otnot Active Member

44 degree targets are all we shoot at our club as well and no one knows the difference. It makes for great practice.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Even using the 5 1/4" dimension doesn't mean straight aways from stations 1 and 5. It is very rare that the PAT stops and throws at the end of its travel, ie: at the stops. Pat Ireland had an interesting comment on here one time of his method of determining the field being centered and what the spread was. It was time consuming but very well thought out. Shoot often while we can, Bob

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- My method is simple. At my club I try to score the first few squads. I will stand between post one and two and look at all of the angles going to the right. The next squad, I will stand between post four and five. It is just as easy to score standing up as it is sitting down. Additionally, at every club and for every event I shoot. I pay attention to the angle of the targets when I am on post one and five. After doing this for a few years, it becomes easy to recognize the angles when looking at them from any post.

I have seen many shooters shoot poorly set targets because they did not recognize that the targets were poorly set.

Pat Ireland

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Forgot to add above. If a club has stakes set in the ground carefully measures to mark where the targets should land, the targets will most likely be set wrong. It is the angle the targets leave the house that is critical, not where they land. A target will curve a few feet to the right as it falls.

Pat Ireland

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

At our club we set a piece of #3 rebar in concrete at the 10 yard mark so that it sticks up about a foot. We then put the same on either side measured so that each marks the 17 degree angle from the center.

We use 3, 10 foot lengths of electrical conduit which slip over the rebar. If we just need to set the target height, we just use the center. We have tape alternating at 6 inches from the top of the pole. This makes it easy for one person in the house to base set the targets by flipping the arm manually and using the in-house speed settings.

If we want to check the angles or have to recenter the field, we use the 17 degree poles. They are also very useful when centering for doubles.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

NHSC- Do you use the new soft, flexible, plastic electrical conduit that comes in a roll ?

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.