1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Trap breaking doubles targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Richard Blaha, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Blaha

Richard Blaha TS Member

Have a Pat Trap G Series (newer machine) that throws perfect singles yet breaks a lot of doubles targets. Don't have any trouble with the other Pat Traps. Brush is new, any ideas? Richard

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Call Vince, he will help. I have him on speed dial, he is the Pat Trap expert. 813.277.6543

3. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

The problem we had was the piece between the two rollers that holds the targets has to let the stack drop, if to tight it will hold the stack up and the targets will not drop in the front hole right. Page 56 (Target Guide Spring) in the manual. I had to rotate the pin so there was less surface against the targets but still enough to do its job. Hope this helps

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Could be out of time.

5. 34model12

34model12 Member

Richard, The doubles XXX finger at the back of the machine on the throw plate may be out of adjustment. The doubles finger only comes into play when the second bird is dropped onto the throw plate. This doubles XXX finger pivots from the 1/4-20 bolt on the left end (as viewed for back of machine). The purpose of the this pivoting motion is to raise or lower the right bird to get a good level pair of targets. When the right end of the finger is pushed towards front of machine the right bird becomes higher relitive to the left bird. Pulling the finger to the rear of the machine lowers the right bird. The problem happens when you push the finger too far forward the machine starts breaking birds. Pull the xxx finger back in small incerments till it quites breaking birds and then go which ever way it takes to get a good level pair. If this isn't the fix let us know what does solve your problem.

Tom Boyd

6. 34model12

34model12 Member

Richard, The doubles XXX finger at the back of the machine on the throw plate may be out of adjustment. The doubles finger only comes into play when the second bird is dropped onto the throw plate. This doubles XXX finger pivots from the 1/4-20 bolt on the left end (as viewed for back of machine). The purpose of the this pivoting motion is to raise or lower the right bird to get a good level pair of targets. When the right end of the finger is pushed towards front of machine the right bird becomes higher relitive to the left bird. Pulling the finger to the rear of the machine lowers the right bird. The problem happens when you push the finger too far forward the machine starts breaking birds. Pull the xxx finger back in small incerments till it quites breaking birds and then go which ever way it takes to get a good level pair. If this isn't the fix let us know what does solve your problem.

Tom Boyd

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I suspect Tom Boyd has the answer, I'd also add; check to make sure the little round lug (whatchacallit) on the bottom of the right end of the finger is laying flat on the plate. If the finger gets bent up a little that can cause it to break targets also.

John C. Saubak

8. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have also seen the finger too far back, and the right hand target hits the frame on the way out and breaks.

9. Richard Blaha

Richard Blaha TS Member

Tom,

I'll have to check that. I know that the pairs were even, seemed to be breaking more left birds (upper/singles target). Maybe I can move the finger back without dropping the right bird too much. Also there is a standard measurement for a baseline position in the manual.

Thanks, for the tips.

Richard

10. 34model12

34model12 Member

Richard, With the left target breaking I would get into the traphouse and let someone throw some doubles while you are inside but out of the way watching. As you start seeing where the bird breaks you'll have a place to start looking for the problem. The singles finger is a small triangle of plastic on the throw plate might have come loose?? Rubber on the arm in good shape, no cuts, divits, or gouges?? Only breaking birds on doubles?? You got me thinking!!

Tom Boyd

11. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

I think Grunt has it right. If the turret is late dropping the targets, the elevator is already down and the targets drop too far or aren't set in the right position. The chain has to be taken apart and the turret advanced to where it delivers the target when the elevator is in the UP position.

Jere

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Check for a sticking elevator.

Ours did when it was new, and broke some doubles targets.

Danny

13. Richard Blaha

Richard Blaha TS Member

Tom,

Did check plastic target finger, measurement and it was tight. Charlie at Pat Trap wanted me to check roller tension and loosen to about 1/4 to 3/16 of thread sticking out. It still held up targets, no effect on doubles, now breaking singles. Plan on increasing tension to see if that corrects singles issue. Agree that machine may be out of time, waiting on procedure from Pat Trap for G series machine.

Rich

14. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Richard,

Have you actually went down inside the house and watched the machine when somebody was shooting doubles. If the elevator is out of time then you could tell really quick.

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

1-800 call Vince. He can walk you through what to be looking for as well as a fix.

16. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

WATCH THE ELEVATOR...THE TARGETS ARE LATE AND THE ELEVATOR IS ALREADY DOWN!!

Jere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pat trap breaking doubles