1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pat Ireland / PW Advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jim Porter, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Pat, I am a bit confused (nothing new about that)--On an earlier post you suggested that a 20ga hull could be slipped over the drop tube of a PW to catch a load of powder for weighing. How exactly do you do this. Am I to assume that no 12ga hull is in the sizing collet? Would the PW "catch kit" go inside the 12ga hull in station? I have thought about this very application and usually just wrestle the charged hull from the removable head and that is a bummer. I would welcome a better way.
    Thanks In advance-

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

You may have to remove the base on the hull to make it work. Its easier to buy the P/W set up.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I found that an empty 20 ga hull would easily slip into an empty die. I would just not put in a hull now and then and when the empty die came under the powder drop tube, I would stick in a 20 ga hull. It is necessary to cycle an empty die with this method. That also means removing a primer and shutting off the shot as the empty die passes through these stations.

On my newer PW, I can remove the entire die from any station and this makes it easier to check the powder.

Pat Ireland

4. don q

don q TS Member

And it is easier to remove the 20ga hull just before the completed up-stroke so there is more room to remove it. I do this about 5 times before I start loading to get a true drop. don q

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

The PW catch kit will slip into the 12 ga hull. Makes it very easy to check drops without disturbing your process. Actually works quite well for all 4 gauges.

John

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have owned 2 PW's over the last 30 years. I just disconnect the link to the charge bar system shut off the shot and cycle the rack gear and catch the powder in my scale plate. Another system I have used is: I cut off a shell just longer than the sizing die, cycle the press until I have dropped powder then slowly cycle again, there will be a point where you can rotate the plate around to push out the empty. This method I do not put empties in and end up with all the dies empty once I extract the shortened case.

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I put my scale pan under the powder, or shot, drop tube and gently pull the handle down pinning the pan. Now I reach up with my right hand and pull the rack forward completing the cycle. I now have a full bushing in the pan. Hold the pan, release the handle up and weigh the charge. Nothing else needed. Just remember to shut off the one your not weighing!

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I sell the P/W slip-over cup and funnel for $5.95.

It works perfectly and does not disrupt the reloading process because you can use th funnel to pour to powder or shot back into the hull to continue reloading.

[​IMG]

Whiz

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- The slip over cup is the best way, but it does not allow me the opportunity to forget to shut off the shot when the empty cylinder gets to that station. Spilling shot now and then is part of reloading.

And, the slip over cup does not allow one to turn off the shot and then forget to turn it back on. My 20 ga shell method does allow, and almost guarantees if used long enough, that both of these mistakes will be made.

Pat Ireland

10. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I never check powder drops in the middle of reloading. That is an unnecessary invitation for mistakes. Check that before reloading, it doesn't change. Try to keep things simple with no extra moves. I have the PW measuring thingy but never use it. To check powder drops I slide a 12 ga hull on to the powder drop tube. When loading, I slide the 12 ga hull onto the powder drop tube, turn on the powder and the hull feeder. When the first shell is ready to receive powder I remove the hull from the powder drop tube and go on. That way I don't get a heavy first powder drop.

11. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

I load on an 800C and I just trip the pin in the back so that the base doesn't rotate. I will dump 5 charges , weigh them and take the average. I use the same motion and pressures that I use while actually loading. That way you get the same settling. All of this is done BEFORE I start my loading session.

I, too, have used PW reloaders for over 30 yeaars. And, I completely agree with Pat. If you don't have a mini shopvac with plenty of powder and shot in it sitting next to your reloader, things just aren't as they should be.

Life is good!

The Bayrat

Erol Tucker - POC, TX

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Here's another way that I learned from our own Jim Forsbach in Columbus (New Albany).

Jim removed the pin from his Rack Gear and pressed in a threaded insert that was flush with the Rack Gear. He then uses a shoulder bolt similar to the ones on the extreme right and left sides of the crosshead to replace that pin and the machine functions fine.

When he wants to check charges, he simply raises the Crosshead (handle down), removes the should bolt from the Upper Link, reinserts it back in the Rack Gear, and then moves the Rack Gear back and forth by hand, dropping charges into in powder measure cup. He, of course, has turned the shot OFF.

When he's satisfied, he re-inserts the shoulder bolt back into the Upper Link and continues about his business.

I have made this modification on many of my customers reloaders to great satisfaction.

I DO have a large shop vac sitting right next to both my P/W and Spolar.

Whiz White<BR>
    P/W Distributor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.