1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PAT IRELAND - POI?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Pat, at 13 yards from a sitting bench-rest, my gun shot four inches high from the aim point to the center of the very small pattern. Is that 90-10? I need to know to tell Keen Sight when I order a rib to lower the POI to 60-40. Oh, used a full choke and one-oz factory ammo. Thnx.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

flaketm- 4 inches high should equate to an approximate 90/10 pattern. I use a linear scale when directly converting inches high at 13yd to pattern percent.

1" high at 13 yds= 60/40 ; 2 " high = 70/30 ; 3" high = 80/20 ; 4" high = 90/10.

This scale is approximate, but patterning is also approximate. If you shoot 10 shots at a 35 yard pattern sheet with you gun that is shooting approximately 90/10, you will get 10 different rations and I would be very surprised if any of them actually worked out to exactly 90/10.

It is also very important to remember that when measuring the POI at 13 yards, you are measuring where the gun shoots. This can be very different from where you shoot the gun.

Pat Ireland

3. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

"It is also very important to remember that when measuring the POI at 13 yards, you are measuring where the gun shoots. This can be very different from where you shoot the gun.

Pat Ireland"

Pat, does the above mean the difference between muzzle to target adn not shooter position to target?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

When I test POI from a bench, my head does not get in the same position as it does when I am shooting on the line. Changing the position of the rear sight (eye) will alter the POI when shooting on the line.

For me, testing the POI will tell me if my gun is shooting straight, right or left. It will also tell me if the gun is shooting low or high. My gun will now shoot about 5 inches high at 13 yards from a rest. It does not shoot that high when I am on the line. It is not at all difficult for a shooter with a gun that tests 90/10 on paper to consistently shoot under targets.

Pat Ireland

5. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Pat, thanks for your help.
    guy

6. DocJim

DocJim Member

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

When patterning at 13 yards, you may want to set a good camera tripod, with a pad on top, at a height that supports either the gun fore-end between the receiver and your hand or just under your hand. This allows you to mount the gun naturally in your usual stance yet gives you enough support to steady the bead on the aiming point.

This should give you a better idea of where you shoot the gun than a bench rest can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.