1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PAT IRELAND - A QUESTION, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Pat, on your very fine bird-bead relationship thread, I note that you use both tape and a fiber-optic site. Why both, please? I thought if you were successful using the fiber-optic, you could keep both eyes open to cure cross firing. I, too, am a one-eyed shooter. Tried the fiber-optic but my eye wanted to come back to that bright dot, thus leaving the target. Tried the tape but my eye works around the tape unless I tape all the way across the lens. So, I just squint. Also, do you hold a high gun or on or below the roof? And what hold points do you use? Thanks. Guy Coates

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Guy- I tape my left lens and use a large enough piece so I can not look under the tape. The tape allows me to keep both eyes open but I can only see with one of them. If I try to close one eye, the other eye squints and the target is not clear. I also use a Hi Vis green front sight. The green sight will certainly allow me to cross fire if I remove the tape. There are some fiber optic sights that will only allow one to see the sight with the eye that is over the rib. I do not care for these.

Actually, I used a white sight for many years and a good friend I shoot with frequently insisted I change to a green Hi Vis sight. He had an extra one so he took off my old sight and installed the green one between events. The green one shows up brighter. It has not hurt my shooting but I do not know if it has really helped. My friend put it on and I just left it.

I hole just a little below the roof of the house on singles and doubles. I try to focus on the edge of the roof. For Handicap I hole about 2 feet below the roof. The lower I hold a gun, the faster I seem to shoot.

Pat Ireland

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Pat, thank you so much. I have varied height holds. I note that Frank Hoppe says there is no need to hold on the edge or below and no need to see the target leave the house. I tried that, holding about a foot high. My shooting is no better that way. I, too, hold just below the edge on singles.

4. teleskier

teleskier Member

I too am one of those one eyed shooters. I have tried tape, two eyes open and cant seem to get the hang of it. For me, I tend to keep my left eye "fuzzy" meaning its not totally open or closed, its almost like I am looking through my eyelashes. That way I still have some perifery. As far as hold on the house, I am about a foot high at 16 and handicap. Of course your visual hold is lower at handicap but it still translates to about a foot high. Mike

5. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Hey, Mike. Welcome back to the states. Yep, worked with the boxes. However,
    think the tremble was from squeezing the control hand to tightly on the stock.
    Looking forward to shooting with you.
    Guy

6. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

I'm a lefty with a right dominent eye (double curse). I use a dot on my right eye just enough to block out the end of the barrel and front bead when my gun is mounted correctly. Sometimes if I miss it's because my glasses have shifted on my face to expose the front bead and it use to take me a shot or two to figure it out. Now, before I call for a bird I make sure I can't see the front bead with my right eye. All in all I have the same setup as PAT and it works for me.

Hawk,

7. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Pat also said he focuses on the edge of the roof. Frank Little's tape for one-eyed shooters says the same. I can't do it. I tend to move the gun as I see the direction of the flash. I need to focus out and look about four feet above the edge.

8. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Interesting thread!

Currently I am using a swath (1") across the top left lense. I also use a Uni-Dot and have been ever since I shot the AL-391's. I currently have both eyes open when I call for the target.

As a kid I closed the left eye and shot of course with my right eye open. When I returned to shooting in 2000 I tried to do the same thing. I had ok results until a friend suggested a piece of tape.

I used the magic dot until a Kiner clinic which provided me with evidence that I was still cross-firing. He applied tape to the entire top of my lense and voila the CF ended.

Dan Johnson stressed to me the importance of getting the gun down below the front edge of the house. He also stressed getting the gun still before setting the release trigger and calling for the target.

I also drop farther into the house for caps similar to Mr. Ireland. Recently we took a Campbell clinic and he stressed working above the house even though I was only using one eye.

Last night I was reading in the Frank Litte Trapshooting Book about gun holds. He stated that a one-eyed shooter holding above the house could simulate a -slow-pull- when in fact the target was on time. Of course that was back before CVR's.

There are so many variables to deal with but then again it can also be oh so simple.

Your target total may vary!

38-01615

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

For clarification, when I stated I hold below the roof for handicap, I mean well below the rear edge of the house.

The tape I put over my left lens is 1 wide and about 1 inch long. If I use a 3/4 wide strip I will lift my head on left angle birds and try to look under the tape.

gunrunner- It sounds like you may also be trying to peak around the tape with your dominant eye. Also, try this to keep the handicap targets from getting blurry. Watch every target intensely with your head erect using both eyes. Then mount your gun and keep your eyes relaxed. The left eye will only be blocked when you mount your gun. Do not squint your dominant eye.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.