1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing of Childhood Legend. Davy Crockett

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Fess Parker passed away March 18. He was known as Davy Crockett for many years to kids. He will be missed.

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Damm,I though he was Daniel Boone

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Fess Parker

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

He was Dan'l Boone.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Fess Parker, 85; portrayed frontiersman Davy Crockett
    By Jeff Wilson

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Fess Parker, 85, an actor who became nearly every baby boomer's idol in the 1950s and launched a craze for coonskin caps as television's Davy Crockett, died yesterday at his home in California's Santa Ynez Valley.
    Family spokeswoman Sao Anash said that Mr. Parker, who was also TV's Daniel Boone and later a major California winemaker and developer, died on the 84th birthday of his wife of 50 years, Marcella.

"She's a wreck," Anash said, adding that Mr. Parker was coherent and speaking with family just minutes before his death. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

The first installment of Davy Crockett, with Buddy Ebsen as Crockett's sidekick, debuted in December 1954 as part of the Disneyland TV show.

The 6-foot-6 Mr. Parker was quickly embraced by youngsters as the man in a coonskin cap who stood for the spirit of the American frontier. Boomers gripped by the Crockett craze scooped up Davy lunch boxes, toy Old Betsy rifles, buckskin shirts, and trademark fur caps. "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" ("Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee . . .") was a No. 1 hit for singer Bill Hayes while Mr. Parker's own version reached No. 5.

The first three television episodes were turned into a theatrical film, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, in 1955.

True to history, Disney killed off its hero in the third episode, "Davy Crockett at the Alamo," where the real-life Crockett died in 1836 at age 49. But spurred by popular demand, Disney brought back the Crockett character for some episodes in the 1955-56 season, including "Davy Crockett's Keelboat Race." In reporting this development, Hedda Hopper wrote: "Take off those black armbands, kids, and put on your coonskin caps, for Davy Crockett will hit the trail again."

But just as suddenly as it had taken the country by storm, the craze died down.

Mr. Parker's career then leveled off before he made a TV comeback from 1964-1970 in the title role of the TV adventure series Daniel Boone - also based on a real-life American frontiersman. Actor-singer Ed Ames, formerly of the Ames Brothers, played Boone's Indian friend, Mingo.

After Daniel Boone, Mr. Parker largely retired from show business, except for guest appearances, and went into real estate.

"Who needed a guy running around in a coonskin cap?" he said.

Mr. Parker had made his motion picture debut in Springfield Rifle in 1952. His other movies included No Room for the Groom (1952), The Kid From Left Field (1953), Them! (1954), The Great Locomotive Chase (1956), Westward Ho, the Wagons! (1956), Old Yeller (1957), and The Light in the Forest (1958).

After departing Hollywood, Mr. Parker got into real estate with his wife.

He bought and sold property, built hotels (including the elegant Fess Parker's Wine Country Inn & Spa in Los Olivos and Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort Santa Barbara) and grew wine grapes on a 2,200-acre vineyard on California's Central Coast, where he was dubbed King of the Wine Frontier and coonskin caps enjoyed brisk sales.

You all are right. Jeff

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just wish Davey Crockett was back in congress now!

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Daniel Boone was a man, yes a big man.

-Gary

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A man's word was worth something.

9. patrick smith

patrick smith TS Member

Well i hate to hear that i really enjoyed him in daniel boone,i got to see him in
    concert at the american royal in kansas city and as i remember he could sing too.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had a coonskin cap as a kid, along with a plastic log fort with frontiersmen and indian figures. Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett were heroes of many of us.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have supplied the link to Fess singing the song and also below is another version.

Bob Lawless

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kweL_RUXXU4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kweL_RUXXU4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I had a "Old Bess" & Coon Skin Cap.

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I too had a coon skin cap. I think everyone of us boomers had one at one time or another. Dan

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I had the whole outfit.......cap, fake leather pants and shirt with the frills, moccasins, gun belt with muzzle loading pistol and plastic knife, and of course the plastic muzzle loader!

Have a picture of me somewhere, back sometime in the 50's with a shooting pose!

Very intimidating!!

I still don't have a very good shooting form.

Danny

15. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wasn't this all just Hollywood bullshit, like John Wayne?

16. jwells

jwells Member

it must not be bullshit because after 40 and fifty years his shows are still on like bonanza gunsmoke to name a few. tell me what present day shows will be on in fifty years.

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

but the bear was bigger

-Gary

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

He kil't a bear when he was only three....

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It was "Kilt him a bar when he was only three".

As kids we used to joke that meant he was getting liquored up.

20. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I can remember when I was little sitting infront of the TV watching his show. Also when mom sang barbershop the quartet had a funny song of Davey Davey caught it and gave to the whole frontier. What a hoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

coonskin caps for sale in oregon