1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parvovirus in puppies- HE CAME HOME (Pics)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cartucci, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartucci

cartucci Member

Has anybody here ever heard of parvovirus. My 9 week old English Setter, was diagnosed with it. I had to take to the emergency vet today ,he's on IV's. they told me its life threatening. Does anyone out there have any suggestions. I've only had him for a few days. The vet said they need to keep him for 2 to 7 days , at a $1000 dollars a day. Has this ever happened to anyone out there?

2. cartucci

cartucci Member

3. eafbtrapper

eafbtrapper TS Member

Dehydration is also a major problem. IV and continous vet oversight is required. Have german shepard that went through this. Let untreated this is a normally fatal. If the puppy survivies parvo they are generally not going to have a problem with parvo again.
    Our shepard spent several weeks at the vet. Stunted his growth.
    Keep the animal at a vet that has continous support. Our puppy had to be shuttled between a daytime vet and an emergency room overnight vet.
    Good luck.

4. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

The parvo virus is very serious. If untreated, and even sometimes when treated, the pup may die. Sorry for the bad news. If you purachased the pup from a kennel most likely it left the kennel with the virus. If you have only had the pup for two days, it should be guaranteed by a reputable kennel. I guess it depends on how you obtained the dog.

Pups are suppose to receive puppy shots that are given at 8, 12, 16 weeks. I am not sure how old your pup is.

Your pup may be guaranteed. If the pup came from a kennel with parvo, most likely other pups have it also. Or at tleast a possibility.

I wish you luck with your puppy.

5. 548

548 Guest

Sorry to hear. At that price, personally, with only 48 hrs invested emotionally - I would euthanize.

Get your money back from the breeder and go find a different dog.

Of course, I am not pro life.

6. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I couldn't afford that vet bill personally.

7. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Parvo can and will contaminate your yard, house, kennel. It is very nasty stuff. You brought it home from the kennel that you got the pup from.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Even if it recovers it might have lifelong problems- usually not but maybe

Gene

9. cartucci

cartucci Member

Thanks for the info guys. How do I decontaminate, and does it effect humans or other adult dogs?

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia on Parovirus:

Canine parvovirus type 2 (CPV2, colloquially parvo) is a contagious virus mainly affecting dogs. The disease is highly contagious and is spread from dog to dog by direct or indirect contact with their feces.

It can be especially severe in puppies that are not protected by maternal antibodies or vaccination. It has two distinct presentations, a cardiac and intestinal form. The common signs of the intestinal form are severe vomiting and dysentery.

The cardiac form causes respiratory or cardiovascular failure in young puppies. Treatment often involves veterinary hospitalization. Vaccines can prevent this infection, but mortality can reach 91% in untreated cases. Canine parvovirus will not infect humans

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My wife once rescued a lab puppy with Parvo. She recovered nicely and was the best dog ever, for almost 17 years (the longest life lab our vet ever saw). Having said that, $1000 a day seems obscene to me.

-Gary

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Many veterinarian practices today are driven solely my dollars. You need to find a good vet that actually cares about the animals and isn't in it merely to use your emotional involvement to charge obscene amounts of money. Many local practices have been bought up by a coast to coast chain that goes by AVA or something like that. Find a local stand alone vet that didn't sell out to the chain.

13. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Check with the Vets at your local humane society. My dog had that when he was a pup of 12 weeks old. The HS gave interveinous fluids and antibiotics. He was on meds for about 10 days. Now I have a 10 1/2 year old juvenile delinquet!! If caught early enough they do respond to treatment very well . I wish you the best. Also Vet ER's are hugely expensive. That is why I went to the local HS here in southeast Michigan.

Chuck

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have never heard of a $1000/day vet, or a 17 year old lab.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is a shot to prevent Parvo. I know little help that does you. But for others it might save your dog in the future, It's sure cheaper than treatment. Most good kennels will not let your dogs stay unless they have had the parvo shots.

Don

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sorry to hear it, Pat. I just now realized that it was your post.

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Friend of mine got a dog from a pound and it had parvo. Dog was put down. They would not give him his adoption fee back but said come back in 6 months after the virus has cleared out from your yard and house and we will give you another dog. He had to spray bleach solution in the house and yard I do believe. Yep some people believe we don't need no stinking vaccinations. HAH ever watch a dog die of distemper??? It ain't pretty. $1000.00 a day seems like an awful high amount did you maybe mean $100.00 a day? Good luck with your dog, I hope he makes it. Bill

18. cartucci

cartucci Member

No not $ 100 a day $1000 thousand a day. Made me sick to my stomach, but I had to do it, Couldn't let the little guy die. cost me 1400 for one day of him being there took him out of there And brought him to the Humane Society for $400 unlimited time. By the way , he's doing great! Thanks guys, Pat

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Super! Pat I hope he continues to improve! Bill

20. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Pat, you're a special type of guy to invest so much in a young pup. I have a feeling your new friend is going to return your investment many times over in the years to come.

Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.