1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Partial Firearm Shipping-BATF?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EdSy, Jun 23, 2013.

1. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

It is my understanding that only the "action" which carries the Serial Number is a "Firearm" under federal law. Barrels, stocks, sights, ribs, etc. can be freely bought, sold and shipped individual to individual. -Ed

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Not a horrible idea, and perfectly legal, but 2 packages means 2x the opportunity for damage or loss.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Simply pack the product correctly. I recently received a press that had been shipped in a box designed for plastic trays.

A little newspaper was wrapped around the press. Needless to say, it was a trainwreck when I got it. The shot bar actuator was sticking out of the box, which looked like it had fallen out of the UPS truck while on the Interstate. The press suffered several bent and missing parts. (groan)

I was able to salvage the nearly new press, but a poorly packed and damaged gun is a different matter.

Use bubble wrap, put the secured arm in a STURDY box, put THAT box in another STURDY box, with bubble wrap around the primary box.

I have shipped a bunch of guns, and have not had one single claim of damage.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I ask seller to ship only shotgun receiver to my FFL because some FFL charge "user tax" (sales tax) on out of state transactions.

The value of the receiver is up to you to declare. Additional $40 shipping cost is a lot of less than tax on a $6000 shotgun.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Steve W- Good point, never thought of that.