1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Part # 2..Which O/U's contributed the most to Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

To follow up the thread..

"Which 3 guns contributed the most to Trapshooting"

...it was mentioned that O/U's have an important part to be included also. Just not the first part perhaps.

What would you say brought on the popularity of the O/U in trapshooting....and which three O/U's have contributed the most to the sport....IYO.

Stan...

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Superposed, 3200, and mx8

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

I would second bjk's choices..

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Would the Citori be a close 4th?

5. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Citori for sure. But I remember it was the best selling O/U in the world at one time. It also came right after the Superposed I think...and I saw more of them on the trap range than any other gun back when I was shooting in the 80's. Not quite as many now it seems.

Pure guess on my part ...but it sure seems to me like it would have contributed a lot ...mainly because it's affordability compared to most O/U's while still being a reliable gun. At least all I've had any contact with were..

Stan..

6. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

Lets don't forget the MX3 Combo!!

Hal

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Such an interesting thread re. history. I suppose we could ask: Which has been the most influential combo in trapshooting? I note that MX-3's have a very strong and highly revered following; almost like the '57 Chevy of Perrazis. (The TM-1 and TM-X being what, maybe the '55 Chevy of Perrazis?)

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

Contributing or popular? If we really mean contributing, it's kind of a trick question since O/Us are mostly doubles or back-up guns.

That said, the grandaddy was the Remington 32 and the Kreighoff is just a popular, modern version of the 32. Similarly, the Citori is just a popular, modern version of the original Browning Superposed, and while it is a good design, it's a stretch to say it was a contributor to trapshooting.

Perazzi probably did more to put the O/U in front of the trapshooter's consciousness than any other maker, did it with a novel design, and decided that if it was destined to become everyman's O/U, Everyman was going to have to pay through the nose for it. And that, friends, is a contribution to the lanscape of trapshooting.

9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Browning Superposed,and the Remington Model 32.

D.P.Reynolds

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Browning superposed...

All others are a distant second

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

wmrike nailed it, Rem 32--look at the # of spin-offs, next Browning Superposed & it's spin-offs. Ross Puls

12. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Browning Superposed was the original. The Rem. 32 was a great gun in skeet or trap. The Citori probably was the gun that made O/Us affordable for the masses. When I was wanting to start shooting doubles back in the late 70's/ early 80's, I asked every gunsmith at The Grand "What is the most reliable, trouble free doubles gun?" It was unanimous, the Citori. As an aside, the unanimous singles gun was Ljutic.

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I think the Browning Broadway should be in there someplace.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It is. Superposed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.