1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parkinson's and other brain problems Remedy???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pyrdek, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Parkinson

The URL listed has an article on Deep Brain Stimulation that may offer a remedy for Parkinson's suffers and some other brain related diseases. Since Parkinson's appears more frequently as age increases, and trap shooters are affected just like anyone else, I figure it might be worth a look. It is still very much in the experimental stage but if it proves out for more general use, it could significantly improve the quality of life of at least some Parkinson's sufferers.

Possible Parkinson's Remedy? Link

2. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Dr Russell Meyers was doing this type of procedure at the Univ of Iowa in the early 50's with electrodes to produce the injury, with some success in Parkinson's. I don't know about the failures. He moved on and the procedure was discontinued. D Winter

3. Don S

Don S Member

Deep Brain Stimulation does not cure Parkinsons. It is used to treat the side effects of some of the Parkinsons medications. Not all patients can be helped.

4. letts

letts TS Member

I have a friend who had this equipment installed in Jan. of this year, We skied on Easter Sunday, his 1st time this year. Results seem to be good so far. with out the procedure, he could not do many of the things he is doing now.

Letts

5. GoldWing

GoldWing TS Member

My wife had DBS surgery in May of last year to control her essential tremors at Vanderbilt. It has been very successful. This procedure is way past "experimental". There have been 40,000 procedures done thus far. She was only 47, but was soon to become disabled due to loss of control of her hands. She literally couldn't write her name. Shortly after the surgery she got her life back! She had the neurostimulator installed below her left collarbone---her non-shooting shoulder. She's back to breaking clays again. For more info about the procedure Google "DBS Vanderbilt" or just search Deep Brain Stimulation. There are probably more shooters affected by Essential Tremors than Parkinson,the symptoms are very similar. She would be glad to answer any questions you might have about this procedure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.