1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parker ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrpheyed, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpheyed

mrpheyed TS Member

My brother has inherited a 16ga Parker. It is marked damascus on rib. It has 2 birds walking on right,2 ducks flying on left and 2 birds standing in a circle on the bottom. It has been cut to 26". It has very little finish left, but works well and has solid wood. The bores are clean and not pitted. What can be done to make it useful as a grouse gun? He doesn't want to spend alot, or restore or sell. He would also like to know the approx. value. I can't do pictures. Thanks in advance for any ideas and info. Tim

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

Try the forum above they should be able to help you.

Jim

3. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

put some smaller guage full length tubes in it and enjoy.

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Why are Damascus barrels "grenades"? Apparently you have not read Sherman Bells articles in Double Gun Journal. I guess the fact that British Proof Houses Nitro Proof Damascus every day is not common knowledge. People still seem content to repeat old wives tales. A barrel has no clue what kind of powder is burned in it, it is all about pressure.

5. ithaca4e

ithaca4e TS Member

I think you already have a grouse gun without doinging anything except to have it checked out by a competent gunsmith familiar with damascus barrels. It amazes me how the old wive's tail of "dangerous damascus" and "use blackpowder only" continues to be perpetuated by those who should know better (the information is out there in lots of places, in addition to the Double Gun Journal). I have several damascus doubles, including Parkers, Smiths, and Ithacas which I shoot and hunt with on a regular basis using smokeless powder. There are many, many smokeless powder loads that generate less pressure than black powder, with very similar pressure curves. Check out Sherman Bell's last articles in the Double Gun Journal where approx 22 old, rusted, badly pitted, loose damascus doubles were fired with 18000 psi Remington proof loads without a failure. Then ask those who tell you damascus is dangerous, to tell you about ONE firsthand incident where there is proof that a damascus failure occurred when there was no possiblilty that there was an overpressure situation.

6. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Ithaca4e......Good for you. I have the same gun described, DH, O frame, case color is mostly gone, but other wise great condition. Have been told by many competent gunsmiths to shoot and enjoy it....WC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooters parker