1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parker Damascus Black Powder Recipe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

I have an old Parker Bros. double hammer shotgun my great great grandfather owned. Beautiful gun. I've always wanted to load some black powder shells and kill a quail or dove with it just so I could say "I've hunted with this gun" productively. Dumb thing to do, but seems like the gun deserves 1 more day afield.

Do it or not????

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Get it checked by a good gun smith first. Bill

3. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

What Bill said, and please see above

4. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Best to have it checked, but if tight and barrels are well soldered, by all means shoot it. You need to check and make sure it has 2 3/4 chambers. Many at the turn of the century were 2 1/2. It is flat fun with Fg or FFg. Black burns hotter, so you may get some plastic melt if you use one piece wads. All sizes of fiber wads are available from Track of the Wolf. Cabela has brass cases if you want to do it really traditional.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another option is to put some full length sub-gauge tubes in it and shoot it with modern shells.

I'd still have it checked out, though.

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Forget black powder shells. Get some low pressure 2 1/2" RST smokeless shells and blast away. If you gun is in good shape with good bores--no problem at all. Black powder is terribly messy to deal with and in some ways more dangerous to load.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I would say don't do it. You have a nice gun that has significant meaning to you and presumably your family. All that would change if one of the tubes came unwound. Even though this was a top of the line gun in it's day, time takes it toll. I doubt you could find a legit gunsmith that would accept the liability of telling you it is safe to shoot.

Making BP shot shells is easy though, I used to make them for the SASS games. Use a N27 hull (cause they look like brass), a Federal 209a primer, 75g (vol) of 2F black or pyrodex, a winchester red wad, and an ounce of shot. Plently of power for small game. Clean the tubes with armour-all, you will get a bunch of plastic and crud but it comes out easy enough.

8. JeweTW

JeweTW TS Member

Sigraph

I also have an old Parker Bros. double hammer shotgun, actually one 12 ga. & one 10 ga. The 10 ga, is older than the 12 which has a mfg date of 1875.

Like wolfram said (I doubt you could find a legit gunsmith that would accept the liability of telling you it is safe to shoot). They told me to just use them for a wall hanger.

I have several black powder double shotguns including muzzle loaders that I shoot. What I did was to make certain the action was tight. Then remove barrel & tap it with my finger to make certain that that barrel wasn’t crack. A cracked barrel would give you a thud sound & a good barrel would have a ring to it. Check both left & right barrels. Also check the bores for deep bits. A lot of the triggers won’t stay cocked because of warn shear edges check 1st before shooting. For loading I us 2FF or 3FFF of black powder & fiber wads. Don’t use plastic wads, with the heat & flame of black powder it will melt itself to the inside of barrel. The old rule of thumb is equal parts of black powder & shot by volume (75 to 80 gr. black powder To 1 1/8 shot). I picked up an old adjustable dipper at a gun show & use it for the powder. I load the shells on a Mec 600 jr. , 1st put powder in with the dipper, than the wad & shot using the Mec. I gauge the crimp by the overall height of the wads. Hope this helps.

9. Mapper

Mapper Member

Back in the halcyon days of yore(before the lead ban) I used to hunt waterfowl with a wire barreled Smith 10 bore. Brass shells, lots of ffg and 2 oz of copper plated #2s. It would kill stuff a long way off. Gun cleaning is a mess. Hot soapy water and then quickly dry the bbls and oil. Great fun if one is young and dumb.

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

You might find the right shells at Polywad, Inc. They do great custom shells for the Vintager's.

Kip

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bullcrap on the "low pressure" smokeless loads. Don't do it.

If it is a twelve gauge, about seventy=five grains of FFg black, a card wad, a 3/8" fiber wad and an ounce and an eighth of sixes or seven and a halfs and you have a good load for birds.

Don't screw around with smokeless. It isn't worth it. Even if you are going to use black, get the gun checked out. A few bucks at your local auto repair shop for a magnaflux or magnaglow for cracks in the barrels will be worth it.

Did I make myself clear...no smokeless.

Black operates at about half or a little more of the pressure of smokeless.

I have used a pile of damascus barreled shotguns, both muzzle loading and cartridge with black...after checking the barrels for cracks/voids and have never had a problem. I retired a ML after pulling the breech plugs and finding erosion in front of the threads...due to black powder corrosion. I still use my great uncle's Shattuck ten gauge on occasion with a load of 1 1/4 ounce of 4's for a duck off my pond. Equal amounts (by volume) of powder and shot is the key.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sigraph- Shooting your Great Great Grandfathers gun is a dumb thing to do and loading a few safe shell will take a lot of effort. I think I would do it. If it were mine, I would shoot a few trap birds with the gun and tell my Great Great Grandfather how much fun he missed by not shooting trap.

There are a lot of fine old shotguns for sale. Each was a family heirloom that someone in the family sold. That might not bother some, but it bothers me.

Pat Ireland

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

JeweTW gave you a recipe that will blow you and your gun into little pieces. Similar volume of PB powder and 1 1/8 ounces of shot is probably about six times the recommended load of PB. PB is a medium burn rate smokeless powder.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

eightbore.

I saw that he typed PB, but I think he meant to type BP, or black powder.

Equal volumes of shot and black powder is fairly common for black powder shotgun loads.

But you're right. If someone actually put PB in a blackpowder gun, in that amount, the results would be disastrous.

JeweTW, suggest you go back and edit your post accordingly. Yes, you can go back and edit posts.

15. JeweTW

JeweTW TS Member

Eightbore

Thanks for finding out my typo mistake.

Timb99

I made the corrections on my post.

Tom Jewell

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well done, sir.

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Make your own Black Powder. Sulfer, Salt Peter, and charco in to be determined amonts. Post-2

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Post-2

They tried that on Mythbusters the other day. Trying to re-create the episode of Star Trek where Kirk was trapped on a planet with the lizard-like creature, and he made a cannon with some bamboo, rope, rocks, charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter.

Didn't work out so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.