1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parity @ the Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

This is my second Grand but I have been to 4 or 5 Satellites over the past few years. Everyone here has to notice the new names on top of the Leader Boards. Especially the Juniors and Sub-Juniors. I find this 1)encouraging,
    2) refreshing and 3)challenging. It seems like there are a whole bunch of unknown shooters who have been waiting in the wings for their turn. Is that the perception of anyone else?

blade819 (ps.. had my first root beer float yesterday, couldn't resist)

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It's a good sign that we have new talent coming into the sport, it's tough for the usual winners but it's good for the sport overall. IMO

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The newer shooters seldom play all of the money and thats where the well seasoned and experienced shooters will continue to prevail at least for the time being ... The Top Shooters have a lot of time, money, and dedication invested in the game so they won't be going any place soon without leaving their mark and taking their pay checks ... Thats the way it goes in all sports not just shooting sports and it proves that anyone can have a bad day if you call 199 out of 200 a bad day ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Quite simple. The game formerly took years to learn given the tougher targets, inferior equipment and shells. Now you can hand a 15 yo kid who plays hours of video games a new Blaser or K-80 and watch him run 'em. After a few years shooting they're bored and off to new challenges-like the opposite sex.

In the meantime, the old timers are slipping. Poorer eyesight, diminishing physical skills and lacking the old killer instinct takes it's toll. Not hard to miss one when you're starting to yawn and a few beers with burgers looks more appealing.

The shooting world as the 'dawg sees it!!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

How true that is oleolliedog

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I agree with all of you.

blade819

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Years ago, Ed Sherer wrote about a young pretty blond gal in one of the shooting magazines as she had just won a major shoot. He predicted stardom for this junior shooter. We never heard about her again, as she just happened to have a very hot day and shoot.

If these new names can shoot great scores continually than they deserve every bit of notority they can get. Regardless, to be high on the leader board at the Grand is something most of us will never see and my hat is off to each and everyone of them.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Five years from now, they will be conisdered "Big Dogs" and everyone will be griping how they win everything at every shoot and something should be done to level the playing field. :^)

rickbarker_2009_250596.jpg

9. oleolliedawg

5 years from now they'll be making mortgage payments, changing diapers and putting up with some wife who'd rather plop her rear in front of the TV than cook or clean-and hates guns-never to be seen again!!

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

ollie, your scenario may be more accurate than mine.

11. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 Member

Dawg you old grump. Up for the young shooters! Jr

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Never made the big board. If it hadn't been for the social part of the game I would have quit in the '60's. Married the daughter of a trapshooter and had to take her to shoots to see all her old friends.

Since I was there I might as well sign-up to shoot - - . Been there - done that.

bigheap_2008_030338.jpg

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

dawg – always with the cynicism!

cop...

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

OLEO, is right-on. Plus the fact that they have to start paying the bill themselves. Both my son and grandson found that out. They both loved to shoot and did great when I was paying the bill.

15. oleolliedawg

shot410ga, I ignored the biggest issue. Heck, I'm still loading #1 sons' shells and he's 32 yo. He even smokes me for paying his fees periodically. I won't even mention having to supply his wife with a cherry BT-99 Plus because she's starting to shoot. Like it never ends. I may have to work 'till I'm 85 if my 4 yo decides to shoot!!

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Damn Dawg i thought i was bad having a 17yr old and 3 yr old. You have a 32yr old and a 4yr old???

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Matt,

He was slow at figuring out what was causing that ... I was the same way, got 3 kids ages between 43 and 30 at least those are the ones I had to admit to ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. oleolliedawg

WPT, knock off calling me "slow"! I don't believe that's politically correct. Please try another term I'll feel more comfortable with!!

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

How 'bout "sluggish" then? Actually "slow" does work for you...like "slow" to pay for Tammy's targets on more than one occasion. I could go on..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.