1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paris Isand today

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just watched a show about Marine recruits at P.I. this morning. It is a real eye opener for someone that went back in 1962. They treat them like babies and they live in some pretty nice quarters. I guess it is an example of all the BS rules the Drill Instructors have to live by today VS back then. Looks like the only thing that has not changed is the Sand Fleas still bite

Semper Fi

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Shoulda known, nowadays iffn u get there and decide you dont like it, they let you go home, Not all of todays recruits are woosies, but those that are get out easy compared to what it used to be like. I saw it starting back in 66 when i got out. main reason i wasnt a lifer. Making rank didnt mean as much as it did when you earned it and then it didnt carry as much authority as it used to.
    With no draft, they do nearly anything to get guys to enlist.Tought the draft was a good thing. Used to if you got in a little trouble the judge would tell you get in the service or go to jail. Thats all changed now a days

Bob w

3. cubancigar2000

I am pretty proud of being a Marine but those recruits just dont look and act like a Marine, nor do they treat them as such. I guess it is the new Marine Corp

4. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

My dad was a rifle instructor during WWII, saw quite a lot of action in the South
    pacific. He never talked about it much, just a couple of things. But the Marine training stayed with him throughout his life...he sure was a strong as nails guy.
    Miss him alot. puablo

5. cubancigar2000

My hat is off to you Puablo. Any man who loves his father is a great human being, any human being whose father was a Marine is even a better one. I am sure your dad was special. Most people have no clue what the Marine Corp is unless they were a Marine or they were a family member of a Marine. My three sons age 42, 44,46 all say to this day, Dad you ares still a Marine & you will never change, referring to my inability to accept anything but the best aand my inability to accept the kids lacking discipline today

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Once a marine always a Marine....

7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Thanks, CC2000...I can remember getting a hair cut twice in one day when I was about 16 or 17...back in the 60s...Dad didn't like the first one, took me back to the barber, and told him "Ray, I thought you were going to cut his hair, wth is this??? Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Even though I wasn't in the Marines, I still got a lot of the basics!
    When I dropped out of art college, and drew a low lottery number for the draft, Dad said "Don't care what branch you go in, but you're going and I would suggest
    the Marines." My reply was "no way, it's like I've been in already for a bunch of years." So, I went into the Air Force. I know my Dad was just happy I was going in to the service, since I had been putting him and my mom thru a bunch of junk, just being a typical young kid.
    But I'm thankful for the upbringing I had, even though at the time I wasn't.
    puablo

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Things like boot camp evolve with time I guess. Would be nice if recruits didn't have to be mollycoddled too much but they still come out as Marines and good fighters.

In fact, the Marines these days are fighting quite a bit and I think they're doing a pretty good job of it.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

I wonder if Lee Harvey Oswald woulda thought Timothy McVeigh was a wussy?

10. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Was there in 59, should still be the same as it was then.

Trap-4

11. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Turn off the TV. Marines today are plenty tough. And they are still fighting and dying for our freedom.

EE

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Cuban, First let me say that your comments irritated me greatly. I don't care if you were a marine, those kids are risking their lives to protect your butt. I am retired military and was assigned to joint services everywhere I went and can assure you those marines are still hard as nails and more than willing to do their part(and yours if necessary). Maybe I took it all wrong but I feel you should be more apprecitive for their willingness to serve, especially under the existing commander and chief. Jackie B. USAF Ret.

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

My brother came through boot camp about 5 years ago. He saw that show too and would tell you its a bunch of shit.

The big difference is smokers don't get to draw one.

He burried fleas and got knocked around just like our old man did. Not a whole lot has changed.

14. holdumpleas66

holdumpleas66 TS Member

Was at P.I. in 62 also, battalion 1 plt 114. sticks with you all your life,i still shine my shoes.

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Hey guys, lighten up, it's a Jarhead thing, obviously you just don't understand.

I listened to my Grandfather 'rate' my father about his Corps, and I listened to my Father 'rate' me about my Corps. I've done the same to a couple of young 'Hollywood Marines' I have working for me........

When it comes to Leathernecks, you never have to bait a hook......Jish....

Kip

16. cubancigar2000

Sorry Jackie, yes you did take it wrong. I totally appreciate the men and women serving our country today but the marine Corp is not putting out tough soldiers from Boot Camp like they used to. They tough ones were tough going in. It used to be that they made the weak ones strong, I dont see it today. As was said by another poster, if you were never in the Marines you would not understand.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't believe Marines are any less tuff today than in the old Corps (Brown shoe) which I was in. I saw a little film about the last three days of boot camp. I forgot what they called it, but it was no sleep, full gear, running, and shooting among other things for 72 hours straight. We didn't have to do that. And their kick'in ass in the Mideast, let's not forget that......

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

It's The Crucible 410. It came after my time in the Corps but I hear it's pretty tough.

The drill instructors are pretty saddled with restrictions I think as far as what they can do. Even when I went in in '88 they weren't allowed to swear.

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Now that's priceless....

A "Zoomie" giving a Marine grief.....

Thanks for the laugh Jack!

Curt

20. chipking

chipking TS Member

I went through Paris Island in 68 and I still have dreams about doing the manual of arms with my footlocker, bends and motherf$%^&@s until the last man puked and a few other special training methods on the rifle range BUT I would still walk the line with any of these young Marines and feel proud to do so. Just remember Marines ragging Marines is a family thing. I can remember being told how pampered we were and how we would never be "Old Corps" by a member of the "Chosin Few" I can also remember ragging on the Hollywood Marines every chance I got.

Semper Fi

--- Chip King ---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.