1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PARENTS AND THEIR CHILDREN WHO SHOOT!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have seen numerous parents bring their children to the gun club to shoot. some of these families decide to shoot ATA tournaments together, and some due to financial restraints just watch and let one or more of their son's or daughters shoot. the majority of these parents seem to get alot of enjoyment out of watching their son or daughter shoot. i have met young men and women shoot ATA and most are courteous, respectful to other shooters regardless of their age. on the other hand just like life, there are times when parents need to take the bull by the horns and put their kids in place. one year my friend luther and i went to the grand in ohio. after we shot we were walking the midway and we see a young man around 12 or 13 years old carrying a KS5. luther and i were shocked to see this kid draging the gun behind him by the barrel. he had worn part of the recoil pad down actually into the wood. my friend luther stoped the kid and told him he was ruining his gun carrying it that way. the kid tells him, so what, my dad will just buy me another one. it took me alot to restrain luther from going off on this kid. we followed him and he walked to his parents camper. maybe luther and i should not have said anything to the father but we did. we told him to look at the gun and told him how his son was carying it. he tells us that his boy has such a temper when he doesn't shoot well. he said i am trying to talk to him about it and nothing seems to help. luther and i left, and in disbelief luther told me if that was his son, how he would have handled the situation. to this day, i think about that boy and wonder how he turned out?

in contrast, one of my friends at the waukesha gun club had one of his boys shooting ATA. luther and i was shooting on the same squad. the father of this young man is very wealthy and his son was using an sco grade perazzi. the boy on the first 25 was having a rough day shooting. after every target that he missed, follow shooters on the squad could hear him use the F word. after the round was over, the young man around 16 years old, took his gun and said i can't hit anything with this piece of s---, and took it by the barrel and slide it towardds the bench on the grass. the gun was not damaged that we could see. suddenly we hear his father who witnessed everything start yelling at him at the top of his lungs and grabed his son and went balistic. that day, i had 4 870 tb's for sale in the rack in front of the gun club. the father asked me how much for one of them. i told him and he told his son to pick one out and that would be his new gun. the son said i just went from a perazzi to an 870, no way i want to shoot that. the father told the remaining shooters on the squad that his son won't continue to shoot. he told his son to appologise to us for the way he was acting. to make a long story short, i never saw this kid shoot again, even though this kid was good enough to possible make a junior state team. i think the kid in this story got the message, hopefully the kid in the first story matured in later years. i believe when your kid does something like this, there is only one way to handle it.
    steve balistreri

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Kind of makes you loose hope for the next generation of shooters when you see kids like that. The good news is that there really are a bunch of young people out there with good manners and a great appreciation of what they do have. Unfortunately we don't see as many of these kids at the trap range as we would like because their folks are the the type of people that work hard to make ends meet and they can't throw money away on sport shooting. Give them time though and they will come around. Meanwhile the spoiled rich kid will be long gone from the trap shooting game.

There have been a few threads on here about what was your first shotgun etc... and it seems like we all have similar fond memories about some common gun but we all thought that old Remington or what ever the case was a great piece of equipment. Never would we drag our prize shooter around or intentionally ground it. Having to put some of your own hard earned money up for said gun intensifies that sense of respect. I know that if my grandfather ever saw me handle my M17 Remington carelessly it would have been taken away permanently.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Not a lot of young people these days that know or respect workmanship or quality.

Ive seen it in just about everything , cars, guns, cell phones , etc.

I guess a new one is always around the corner from good 'ol mom & dad.

Im glad I was raised different.

On the other hand, Ive seen parents pushing their kids into something they could have cared less about: Tee ball in my case, but thats a different story.

Regards....Gerald

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the world is full of spoiled people!!!!! here is my request to you all- if you know of a good kid who either hasnt had the chance to try the sport or who's parents wont hual he or she around-- TAKE THEM TO A FEW SHOOTS , prferably one with a bunch of youth shooters- a case of shells and some rounds out of your pocket aint gonna kill any of us!!
    wally riebesell

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

I'm one of those parents... but hopefully not one of THOSE parents. I know it is sometimes a struggle for my son to keep smiling and be gratious when smiles and grace are hard to convincingly fake.

I've seen too many of the kids you're talking about to put up a defence and pretend bad behavior is a rare occurance. I do know however, several... no... many kids that are examples of sportmanship and class on the trap field. This summer I saw a kid give another (IN his category and not a team-mate) his gun to finish an event with when his broke. We know and have become friends with some of the best kids and parents you can find in any sport and we are thankful for it. Some really great folks.

To me, trap is the best sport a kid can get into to build character. Unlike the video games they continuously play, there is no reset button in trap. A competition may be over for you after the first station of the first house. One cannot quit and you cannot start over. This sport forces you to stand there, exposed, to finish with effort and class. There are few activities that kids do today that require that much.

In a day where organized sports refuse even keep score in fear that someone's feelings will be hurt, we parents rarely find avenues that properly prepare children for realities of life. There is no reset button and there are no do-overs. There aren't at least for anything that's worth a flip.

6. senior smoke

i have 2 grown up children. they are very sucessful, a boy and a girl. my wife and i were lucky because they never really gave us any trouble. when i talk to them today, they say that they thought i was very stricked as a parent. both of them said when they were young, they always thought twice about doing something wrong, knowing they would have to face me. to be very honest, i have always felt that being a parent was one of the hardest jobs there is. i don't feel when kids turn 18 that your job as a parent stops. to this day it makes me feel good to know they respect me enough to still ask my opinion on a matter that they are not sure about. i envy the parents who shoot with their kids. i live in a subburb of milwaukee, called wauwatosa. when my kids where in school, the teachers, the school board, and most parents drilled into them that guns were bad, and only used for one purpose, to kill people or animals. no matter how much i tried, i could never change the teachers or the board to change their views. what they did was tarnish my children minds and others so they would never enjoy a chrisp morning to hunt or spend a day at the gun club. now that i have 3 grandsons all under the age of 5, i have purchased a bt99 micro for the oldest, when it is his time to shoot. i got my son in law into trap and he loves it. the other day i had the 5 year old watch me reload some shells, under my close supervison, and he said he had fun. people who are not into the shooting sports, people who do not hunt, can be some of the most close minded people i have ever met. sure we have a small percentage of particpants that i don't care for, but i will match shooters to any other sport regarding being good citizens.
    steve balistreri

7. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Ive got one from the another point of view Ive been around trap since i was ten im 23 now since i started shooting ive had to pay my way my parents didnt make enough cash to support my shooting so i would load traps at local gun clubs i would load traps at the state and grand and that money would buy my components for the next year until it came around again the only thing i had to ask for was a ride to the gunclub and usually another local shooter would give me a ride home when we were done shooting i always have respected my stuff because i have to earn it.

When i was around 14 a few guys we shoot with invited me to shoot sporting clays i only had 2 guns at that time one was a 1100 trap and a 870 skeet so i took the 870 since my 1100 is a full choke. While we are at the range im outside beside the gunrack well another guy picks up his shell bag throws it over his shoulder and reaches for his gun when he gets it his bag swings around and knocks mine of the rack into the gravel so i pick it up and start looking it over and his next words werent sorry did i hurt it or anything close to that. He said that thing isnt worth fixing. Then he walked off I didnt know what to by the time i got the club owner he was gone and i was left with a beat up 870. Kirk

8. senior smoke

kirk:
    sorry that happened to you. you sound like a good young man. your parents seem to have raised you right. in every sport there are jerks. in the shooting sports i have met less of them than any other i have particpated in.
    steve

9. rocktire

rocktire Member

I was raised as a hunter. Grew up on a farm in North Missouri. I now live about 15 miles from that farm in a small town. My parents still own and operate that same farm, which is a sentenial farm now. I always had the oportunity to go out the back door and shoot birds or targets from a very young age. I always knew my boundaries and good gun safety. We had guns in closets and gun cabinets that were not locked, I knew better than to mess with them. I shot a little bit of competition rifle in 4-H and have just gotten into competition trap. I have a 4 year old daughter who has spent countless hours at the gun range or tagging along fishing with me. She loves it!! She knows what she can and can't do, and when and where to be quiet. I have just started to go to some bigger shoots and have seen young men and women who have a love for this sport like no other. Who respect other people and there things. I have a young buddy shooter 12 years old who has better manners that most adults. Takes his hat off in a building, opens doors for people, etc.

On the contrary I have seen spoiled brats that haven't ever wanted for anything. Or worked for anything. They are handed a new gun when they want it and don't respect it. My guess is that they will get to a point in life and the tit will be removed from there mouth and they won't know what to do. It sure won't be trap shooting, cause they won't have the hand outs.

The kids I have described above will continue to shoot cause they understad the value of a dollar. This is why for the most part Trap shooting is a gentlemans sport. Only the strong survive.

10. senior smoke

rocktire: i like stories like that. makes me feel like there is still hope.
    steve

11. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Our Sportsman's club is having a youth field day this Sat. which will include Trap, archery, fly fishing and tying, .22 target shooting, animal identification, and scat identification. We have over 50 kids signed up including my 9 year old daughter.

In past years the age restriction was the same as the hunting age, 12, and they had to have hunter safety training completed. Last year was thier smallest turn out with 24. So they changed the age restriction to 8, I think there should be no age restrictions personally. So this year looks good, and most of the kids have not been to the club before, fresh blood for the outdorr life. Several of these kids live in town and have never been around shooting.
    I hope they are all respectful.

I also shoot trap at the club, and they cater too young shooters. If a youngster shows up they let him shoot a few straight aways to get used to it before starting the round. All of the old timers chip in with advice, mostly good, some not so good. One young gentleman a couple of weeks ago had a Winchester 1300 youth with a cutdown stock that was way too small and he only broke 2 targets in 2 rounds, so we stopped everything, I lent him my 20ga SKB full size, and we showed him some things to improve his shooting. He broke 10 on the next round. Great improvement. He made it a point to thank everyone over and over. He and his father were grateful and it was refreshing. His dad bought him a Browning Gold 20ga. and he treats it with the utmost care.

Thanks

12. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I'm a 21 yr old, been doing real clay shooting since 18, and a waterfowl hunter since 12.

We all have bad days, whether that constitutes dropping 1 bird or 50, I never take it out with what I say or what I do. I still marvel at the fact that on a clays field you need to be shooting PERFECT to WIN. If I shoot a 94 that would be an A in the classroom but wouldn't win in a big shoot most likely. The mental game is so great about clay target shooting.

I was taught with a justified heavy hand that you respect your tools and equipment. And I only own an 870 Express, a 391 Extrema, a .22 remington PUMP action, and my favorite possession (other than the Silverado) is my Citori XT Gold. Certainly, none of them are K or P guns, but I love them and care for them greatly. And I'm sorry to hear about that 870 Skeet Kirk.

Phil Cathell

13. senior smoke

gARY:
    IT WAS NICE THAT YOU MENTIONED THEM.
    STEVE

14. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...and I grew up old school. Not that I have perfect children (I don't believe they are made) but close. All 4 of our children a great kids and If either situation would have happened,which I know it would not have. They would have been taken to the can and we would have discussed or resolved the problem wher e god added alittle extra padding. If you know what I mean. I don't give my children everything I do provide them with things they need and things they would enjoy,,,But they also have chores to do or later had a part time job.. The two oldest 2 hare on their own.. 1 on his way to college and 1 in high school.. the rules applied to all. Not saying I did everything perfect but I gave respect and I demand it in returnnot just for myself but in all aspects of their life and it's amazing what happens when this happens ... not here to say they have not tried to do something else as they were growing up but, stopped it before it went to that point...my advice Be there for your kids don't give everything to them They will grow up to be good adults

15. senior smoke

EE- when i was shooting with this kid that threw the perazzi sco grade shotgun, i hate to say it, but i was waiting for the father to come to him and slap him silly. the father of the boy is around 6'5'' and when he grabbed him, the kids eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his sockets. i believe he would not let him ever shoot after that. if i would have done something like that as a kid, i wouldn't have been able to sit down for a week. we were poor growing up, anytime i asked my dad for something he would always say" I'M NOT ROCKEFELLER" i learned i better treat adults with respect, and treat people the right way, or my dad would straighten me out. even if i was rich. i don't think i would purchase my kid a gun like some of these spoiled kids have.
    steve

16. senior smoke

100after9- seems like you are doing a great job raising your family.
    good luck.
    steve

17. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Loose = Not tight as in this belt is loose.

Lose = Not found as in by shooting a 77 you will lose.

Shoot safe, John

18. senior smoke

Jr:
    your dad was a smart man. i use to shoot a model 12 years ago, wish i still had that gun. a friend of mine asked to look at it and started slaming the action real hard a few times. i said what the heck are you doing. he said it wouldn't close correctly. told him he was full of hops. so we start shooting an ata tournament i shoot at the first target and when i tried to extract the hull, i couldn't. he broke the extractor. if looks could have killed. i got a small screw driver that you tighten eye glasses with and used that after each shot to pull the federal papers out of the gun. i did this so fast so not to slow up the squad. i ended up with a 99, i averaged 92 at the time. luther said to me, have that fat sob break all your guns. thaTS THE BEST YOU HAVE SHOT IN YEARS. around 5 years later i am shooting handicap at our state shoot and i am 2 targets down going into the 3rd trap. the same guy who broke the extractor previously picked up my model 12 again and accidently put the gun on safety. the first target out i can't pull the trigger. the kid gets off the chair and says lost target. i ended up with a 96 from 25 yards. later that day another friend of mine said he saw the guy fooling around with my model 12. it was hopefully an accident, but i told him if he ever touched any of my guns again, he would be shooting by himself. luther said that goes for me too. only difference is, as luther is pulling out an old timer knife, i'd cut your belly you fat sob. he never touched our guns again. by the way, the one target i missed would have won me money in the calcutta.
    steve

19. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

I am a young shooter, 16 years old, and I know first hand how being respectful and helpful can get you a long ways. People trust me and let me try their muti thousand dollar trap guns. Most of the people I shoot with are at least 2 times my age some are 4 times my age. There is one man in particualr that is very old and has a hard time walking, I respect him very much, as I have seen him shoot his fair share of 100 straights. I saw him at a shoot and helped him by carrieng his shooting bag from trap to trap.

20. WI Trapshooter

WI Trapshooter TS Member

No I do not have an expensive gun, I wish I do, I have a stoeger condor competition MSRP $650.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.