1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parallel vs. tapered stock - skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hardcsh, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

Seems most American Skeet shooter are now favoring a parallel butt stock. However the Olympic style skeet shooter still favor a tapered butt stock.
    I realize in American skeet the gun can be pre-mounted and Olympic style is start from a low gun postion. I have read the advantage to the parallel stock is the face is alway at the same height anywhere on the stock. Sounds like a great advantage, so why are most Olympic Skeet or Sporting Clay guns configured with a tapered stock?

2. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

The other issue with a tapered stock comes when you adjust lop. You also get a corresponding higher or lower comb position. I wish they were all parallel.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Parallel comb stocks are more advantagous with rising targets, such as Skeet and Trap. Stocks with drop are more suitable for flatter or dropping targets and they come up faster with a low gun mount.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Parallel combs don't have to be high to be useful, particularily for low gun games; i.e. Int'l Skeet and FITASC sporting, and they don't whack you in the jaw.

5. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

It's heresy I'm sure but I've always gone with the "shoot what works for you" and who GAF if it's a *skeet* or *trap* or whatever stock.

6. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

and they don't whack you in the jaw.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

A VAST majority of top American skeet shooters are using parallel comb monte carlo stocks now. The only two I can think of off the top of my head that don't are Wayne Mayes (skeet stock) and Stu McCoin (monte carlo sporting stock). I'd hazard a guess that you could count the number of top 30 shooters who don't use a monte carlo parallel combed stock on one hand.

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have been using monte carlo stocks for 40 yeas - ranging from Int'l Skeet to Columbaire to Box birds.. same gun, slightly different DAC/DAH and LOP between Columbaire and Box Birds. Same pitch.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There was a very interesting article written by Dave Holmes in Clay Shooting USA, Trap Shooting USA's sister publication about five or six years ago. The article talked about the zygomatic arch (cheek bone) and what issues develope between your cheek bone and a parallel comb. The article is very informative and answers most questions regarding parallel combs.

You may be able to find this article in Clay Shooting USA archives, sorry, I don't have a date for this article. I think there web sight is www.clayshootingusa.com

Surfer

10. Hardcsh

Hardcsh Member

Thanks for all the great information. The top skeet shooter in the world, Kim Rhode shoots a tapered stocks and sporting clay champions, Wendell Cherry and George Digweed, also shoot tapered stocks and that's what spurred my quesition.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's been a discussion about sloped vs. parallel stocks on Shotgunworld.com/sporting clays. Some of the top sporting clays shooters prefer
    a sloped stock because it is easier to shoot very high or very low targets. Neverthless, there are top sporting clays shooters who use parallel stocks, so I guess not everyone is in agreement. I recently changed the stock on my 391 which I only shoot for sporting clays from a parallel stock to a sloped stock

I think a parallel stock is better for trap and American skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
monte carlo stock and skeet
monte carlo stock for skeet
parallel comb

parallel comb for sporting clays

sporting gun parralel comb

tapered threads vs parallel threads

what is a parallel gun stock
what is a parallel stock