1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Parallel Comb ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by washandwear, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Would it be correct when adjusting comb height to make sure it is parallel with the rib when finished? First, I locked the gun in a vise adjusting it until rib was level setting a digital level on the rib. Then I put the level on the comb and adjusted the two posts until the comb was level.

Thank you

W&W

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Yikes! I do my best to contort 'em and you spend a couple of days makin yours true as a "baby's @$$"! Yikes!

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

In theory it is a good idea. It will keep your eye at the same height when your cheek is on the comb. But you will have to shoot the gun inorder to see if there is any pain delivered to your face with the comb setup that way. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do the same thing as YODA does. I can also see from his stock set up that he has a long neck as I do.

Pat Ireland

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I do the opposite.Up in front and out/away in back

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If you ever shoot a style that uses a low mount to start from.. you'll find the parallel comb to be ideal.. Regardless of how you mount.. you have the same.. correct sight picture.. As trapshooting starts from a mounted position..It's pretty much up for grabs.. If you practice your gun mount/lifts.. You'll be in the same spot every time.. each of us has own oun preference..Whatever works the best for you.. But.. years ago.. in my stockmaking days..I followed Umberger's (sp) designs.. and was quite pleased..
    Saying all that.. Devault Industries makes a fantastic stock.. i'd look at his comb design.. It seems to be very well liked by many excellent shooters..

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I make sure my comb is parallel with the barrel not the rib. I figure that is where the saying parallel comb come from. Correct me if I am wrong.

8. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

3deuces maybe right,I see berettas parrallel combs still have some drop at heel.

9. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

My thinking is a parallel stock is no more parallel once the adjustable rib is adjusted up or down out of parallel. That is why I adjust mine to be parallel with the barrel.

10. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Thank you. It is a PFS and have had no problem with cheek bite. Will check to see if the rib is parallel with the bore.

Regards

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

parallel comb parallel with rib or barrel