1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PARA USA GI EXPERT .45ACP OPINIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've been interested in purchasing a 1911-based .45ACP for some time now. While I've shot them, I've never owned one.

The Para GI Expert has recently caught my eye and interest. It seems to be a lot of gun for the money. I like the traditional styling, the reviews I've read are very positive, the price is quite reasonable at $500-$600 bucks, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this model? I'd appreciate any related feedback.

Guy Babin

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guy I have never owned the model you are asking about but I have owned many of the Para-Ord variations in the past and I currently own and carry a LDA Night Watch. This is the Black and Olive Drab Teflon finish Commander sized gun that Para-Ord made several years ago. I never had a gun related problem with any of these and that included a diet of some less than desirable ammo from many sources.
    They are excellent values.

--- Chip King ---

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I did see a comment or two stating the finish tends to wear fast on the Para GIs.

I should have also requested recomendations on other brands/models that are in this "entry level" price range like the Springfield GI & MIL SPEC series--and others that are out there.

Guy B.

4. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I do not have any experience with Para models but my FFL dealer seems to think pretty highly of them. I have a Springfield MC Operator, it is more expensive than "entry level" but it is worth every penny. I thin kif I were going to buy a 1911 in the $600 range, I think I would go with a base model Springfield. They are very good guns and I think they would hold their value a little better than a Para, just my two cents.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Before I knew what I know now.. The Para was a great gun.. Today.. I'd look at STI.. They make great guns too.

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

PerazziBigBore,

Can you share a bit of what you've learned? Does it relate to better choices in the same price range, or that you'd opt for spending more for a premium model from the get-go? For the most part I do believe that you get what you pay for... so I am mindfull of that.

I won't be using it for CC, home defense, or competition--at least at first. I do want to test the waters to see if I might get more involved with pistol shooting on my own terms without having to rely on my buddy to share his.

Aesthetically, I do prefer the more traditionally styled models--although the Para does have a non-traditional hammer and trigger. Overlooking these elements though its overall classic theme is why it initially caught my eye, along with the seemingly good value for the buck, and the very positive reviews I've read.

Guy B.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I have a Springfield I gave about that much that is very good, forged frame and slide, shoots good works good.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Might I suggest to any and all 1911 lovers.. shooters.. gunsmiths.. Get a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen Volume2 45Auto series.. It answers any and all questions about a 1911.. When the parts are right.. the gun is right.. I don't care who makes the parts.. Good parts.. good fit.. great shooter..

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks for the advice Mike, et al. All noted. I'll also look for a copy of the book reccomended.

The more choices there are the harder it is to decide sometimes. It's nice to have choices tho.

Guy B.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

STI makes very good guns but I have to laugh at all the parts I have replaced to improve my open gun: Dawson extra length firing pin; checkered steel MS housing; Cylinder & Slide ultra-lite hammer, sear,disconnecter package; Ice magwell; Dawson guide rod/spring; Aftec extractor. Nothing is perfect out of the gate.

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You can replace every part in the gun.. but which of these did you replace because you really had too?? I admire a man who puts down the bucks for the Cylinder and slide hammer/sear/disconnector.. But the EDM cut STI parts work extremely well.. Checkered MS housing..you wanted.. need?? guide rod and spring??? Aftec extractor??? bunch of money where the EGW works flawlessly..but they are pretty cool..

Ok.. my playlist.. Titanium hammer strut.. Spirco recoil spring guide.. Cylinder and slide ultralight hammer sear disc... Fusion extended mag. release
    Nowlin light weight trigger.. Nowlin sear spring.. Smith and Alaxander grip safety.. Wilson extended thumb safety and slide stop.. EGW ejector. Micro barrel bushing.. EGW barrel links.. Schuemann barrels. Caspian frames.. Caspian/STI slides..
    BUT.. the list is endless.. building a 1911 is like a little girl playing dress up.. What will she wear today???? LOL.. All Good.. Mike.. BTW..the book you can order from Brownell..

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mike,

Does Ross build guns for a living, or does he do it only for close friends/associates?

I found some mentions of him on the web but no link to a site.

It'd be cool for a Louisiana boy to have a gun set-up by a fellow southerner... even tho he probably favors Razorbacks over Tigers.

Guy

13. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guy There is a good write up on the Para USA Expert in this months American Rifleman including some comments on the durability( or lack there of )of the Para Kote finish.

--- Chip King ---

14. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Another review (this one from earlier in the year) that was posted on forum.m1911.org. (see link above.)

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I saw the write up.. Reads good.. Looks like it sells for under $500.00???? At that price.. appears to be a good buy.. I'd also look at the Taurus 1911.. Alot of gun for the money.. loaded with features..

Speaking to Ross.. he's mentioned to me..he's seen some "factory' guns with coatings used to fit the rails... STAY AWAY FROM THEM.... Coatings wear out on the rails very quickly.. leaving you with undersized rails and a sloppy slide fit..

Saying all this.. if one buys a Foster frame for $129.00 and shops GunBroker.Com very hard for a few months.. you'll be able to build a clean 1911 in the $500 range that's a excellent shooter.. In the $700 range you'll have a excellent target gun.. and $1000.. a nice race gun..

16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Mike,

The book is on the way. Email sent by the way.

I have read the article Chip.. which is what peaked my interest.

It'd be real cool to build my own... trouble is I have no clue on what I'm doing... If it were a Harley Pan or Shovelhead I'd be ok, but a 1911 is pretty greek to me and without proper guidance I know I'd waste money.

I'm game though!

Guy

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Guy.. Worst case.. You see me at the GRAND next year..and we fix it... Once you read the book..you'll know more about it.. If you download SKYPE.. I can look over your shoulder and share a few helpful words.. You'll proudly put together your own 1911.. and as time goes on.. you'll refine it.. You will shoot better and better.. and so will your 1911..
    The book will make things pretty simple....which the 1911 is.. JUST.. the more you know.. the more "little" things you find out make a gun shoot so much better.. The "tiny" almost free details.. a factory can't chase.. They eat..time.. not money.. Winter is soon upon us.. We might have plenty time.. Anyway.. I'm here.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

para ordnance gi olive drab expert price