1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Para LDA 45, your opinion!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I sell a good number of Paras out of my shop and in particular the LDA's. I carry a 40sw KDA and like it because of no hammer sticking out while its cocked. It ready to rock n roll and incorporates two safties. Good luck.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I had a C7-45 LDA which was the combat commander sized single stack magazine 45. It was one of the finest 1911 style 45's I have ever owned. The double action trigger pull was smooth and light and the pistol shot great. I had zero problems with this gun in well over 3000 rounds and carried it on a regular basis. In a weak moment, when I "had" to have a lightweight gun for concealed carry, I sold it now I wish I had it back.
    --- Chip King ---

3. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I bought a Para when they first came out years ago. It is a very well made gun & accuracy is extremely good. Is has held up over time. I would recommend them highly.

i_shoot

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Colt Sig are the two I would look at first. Those are to me the top two.

5. ledbet

ledbet Member

I have a Para C6 LDA that I am trying to sell. Stainless gun in like new shape. It is a little small for my hand and that is the only reason I want to sell it. If you are interested shoot me an email. xxbledbetter@ntelos.netxx
    Remove the x's from the address.

Bill

6. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

The Para LDA is an excellent handgun. If you want a very smooth double action hand gun this is the one. Michael

7. emm2

emm2 Member

I shoot the Kimber 1911 and love it, but if I was going to buy another brand it would be the Para. If it's good enough for our Navy Seals it's good enough for the rest of us. Shane

8. Buster1652

Buster1652 Member

Dean, to my knowledge the Para LDA is the only 1911 style that I know of that can be carried locked and cocked with the hammer down and the safety engaged.

In my opinion after all issues are considered the Para LDA is by far the finest hand gun available to the general public.

I speak from experience. I currently own 5 different models of Para LDA.

Art

9. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I have one, and I consider it my best 45 behind my pair of Les Baer 1911's. If you are not going the 1911 route, you will like the LDA.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

love the paras

11. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I carry a wheel gun;however a neighbor of mine is retired secret service & his son is currently secret servive---if the secret service carries a Sig 357 to protect our Pres. it is all I have tom know--as far as an auto -loader pistol is concerned-- the father who was secret service carried a 357 S&W revolver---Phil

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I like the LDA trigger. If you want a DA .45 on the 1911 pattern, this is the one.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, let me say I own a P-12 - it is my 'car' gun - carried when I am driving within my home state (yes, I'm a CCW holder). I love it - 12 shots in a tiny package.

I have heard that PROLONGED firing of Paras can lead to excessive wear in certain areas. I am talking about massive users (think IPSIC shooters - couple hundred rounds per week minimum) over long periods. There is a tendency for the sharp edges to wear down - especially on the slide (think slide stop notches and the like).

The gunsmith who explained this to me thinks the quality of the metal involved in the castings just isn't up to it. You do not see many of these guns at IPSIC competitions, so the reputation is apparently widely known

I am NOT sure how this has been handled in recent years (i.e., the LDA guns of recent manufacture).

With this in mind it certainly begs the question as to how many rounds you think you will fire in a year - might make you consider something else if the number is really high...

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I agree with skybuster on the extractor. A standard 1911 extractor is the way to go, all the companies who have changed from Brownings original extractor design have had problems and had to redesign the redesign.

The LDA is not a true double action at all, it is something quite different. It looks like a double action on the outside but works more like a single action on the inside. You basically have a cocked and locked pistol but it looks like a hammer down double action. Because of the hinged trigger and drawbar most of the right side frame rail is missing compared to a standard 1911. I'll try to explain how it works as simply as I can.

The hammer is a two piece part with an inner and an outer part, the inner part is also called the cocking piece. The first LDA pistols had an outer hammer that looked just like a Colt Commander hammer. Newer LDA's have no spur, the hammer is completely flush with the rear of the slide.

Both parts of the LDA hammer ride on the same pin. Only the inner hammer is connected to the mainspring and it acts directly against the outer hammer. When the outer hammer is rotated to the rear by the slide it carries the inner hammer along with it until it is cocked and caught by the sear. The outer hammer never stays to the rear, it follows the slide to the front under the pressure of a light torsion spring. The inner hammer always STAYS COCKED. The trigger never actually cocks the pistol, the slide does, trigger cocking is part of the definition of double action.

When you pull the LDA trigger the draw bar connected to the trigger pushes the outer hammer to the rear against the pressure of the light torsion spring. This is where the "Light" in "LDA" comes from, the "double action pull" which rotates the outer hammer is very light because it is not cocking the gun at all. When the draw bar reaches the sear it trips the sear and releases the precocked inner hammer. The inner hammer now rotates forward under mainspring power driving the outer hammer to fire the pistol.

Simply, the outer hammer carries the inner hammer with it to cock the pistol, the inner hammer drives the outer one forward to fire the gun.

I've had a lot of different guns come in my shop in a basket over the years and haven't failed to get one back together yet, the first time I took apart a LDA my record was in deep jeopardy. What a three handed mess, I have had more practice now but still don't like them. My advice is unless you have watchmaker training don't do more than field strip it, it's not like the GI 45 at all on the inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

para lda 45 always cocked

para lda opinion