1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper shotgun hulls?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I hear alot of reloaders loading federal papers, Is there a market for Remington paper hulls?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Those have to be old and musty, probably not too good. They are even before my time.

I had some Federals from the 1976 Grand, and some had mold on them and lots of them split on the first loading.

Your milage may vary. I do have, I think 3-400 wads for them if they have a high base wad. I also have some AA12R for Win papers or porch shooters.

HM

3. PODO

PODO TS Member

sarge - back when I got serious about trap shooting in the 60's the Peters Blue Magic was one great hull - I think I have a couple hundred stached in my loading room - (broke a few 25's and 50's with them) - TOM

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The Blue Magics were made out of bubble gun....the sucked!

The RXPs and Green Premiers were wonderful hulls....now Remington's gold Nitro 27s and STSs are very good hulls.

5. PODO

PODO TS Member

Ahab - funny never had probs with my Blue Magics - have to agree with you that the current Nitro's and STS's are one great shell - second to my Federal Papers when I can get them - TOM

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These remington paper hulls are in fine shape. They looked better than the old style plastic AA hulls!

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

You might put them in the oven at 150ยบ (open mouth down) for a few min to 're-wax' them, and they'll take *97 prinmers, I'm pretty sure.

They'll shoot and shouldn't split.

GS

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

yes the primer looks a tad smaller?

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

primer was a 97 or 57 hard to find. They need a flake like red/green because the primer is not sealed.

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Remington-Peters papers definitely used a #57 primer and those primers haven't been made for several years.

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a few Remington #97 primers.
    Don

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

funny thing is, I just gave up some 157,97 and 57 primers to Papcharlie. Now these come my way. Also just got rid of a few hundred ACTIV hulls. Now I just got some ACTIV wads.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Finding a wad for those hulls might be tough. The AA red wad may work. The orginal "Power Piston" wads may have worked for them too. We mostly used a SAC Dome and a 3/8" fiber wad.

Expect "boomers" with those Remington papers. Some said the boomer resulted from gas leaking back between the paper hull walls and the basewad. Others felt the cause was the flimsy, but very high basewad. Parts of the very high basewad would deteriorate and partially block the the primer flash. I don't think "boomers" were dangerous, they just gave a distictive sound. You'll know it when you get one. Whatever the cause, a "boomer" wouldn't work the action of an 1100 or 58.

14. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
copper shot paper hull shotgun shells

federal paper shotgun hulls

paper hull shotgun shells
paper hull shotgun shells for sale

paper shotgun hulls

paper shotgun hulls for sale

paper shotshell hulls for sale