1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper shells brass is spliting ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9103997, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9103997

9103997 TS Member

Just curious if my gun is the the problem or just old shells . My great uncle recently passed away . He gave me a about 1600 shells of Fedral target shells . I have shot them all and started reloading them after a close inspection . I run 19 grains of international powder and a fedral 209 primer with a 1 oz wad . My question is why would the end of the brass blow out ? I have been told that my 870 breech bolt is not seating correctly . The gun gives me no trouble on the plastic shells but I like the paper shell because the paper have less recoil . Any ideas would be appreciated . By the way I discovered that the shells were a collectors item after shooting them all . O-well my uncle would rather I shoot and enjoy them . I didn't have this problem With them the first time around.

ps the wad is a down range replacement for the remington tgt 12 they call it a drrt12 . I found out Sunday that these wads are not for a straight wall shell I am not sure .

2. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I was given about 500 multi fired Federal paper shells. I went through them and about half of them had a split around the rim of the brass. I have loaded up the rest with 3/4 oz loads for skeet and they have performed well so far. I will continue to look for splits. They were originally shot in a 12 guage auto, Beretta I believe. I am shooting them in a Browning 525 O/U. Bob

3. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Paper federal hulls are prone to splitting the rim of the brass when pressures are a bit high. I may have missed it, but the wad you use for your load is not listed that I can find. It could be your problem.

Before I wore glasses, I have been to the eye doctor on many occasions for them to dig out the small particles of brass when one of them split when shooting.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Brass becomes brittle with age, especially thin stampings.

Probably a result of age and pressure.

Regards....Gerald

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have had a flake of brass from a Fed get under my ejector and cause the gun not to lock up.

Shot many papers, the splitting was just part of the game.

HM

6. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

More then likely the old brass based shells are age hardened, but it could also be a combination of age and a oversized chamber.

7. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Brass based Federals paper shells when shot in guns with a loose head space may buldge and split. Automatics and pump guns are the worst. Post-2

8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have added a picture of the split case heads I am getting. Not sure if they are like to origionator of this post but these do not appear to be from an oversize chamber. I cut one of the cases open and the case heads are solid brass. I suspect that the brass is getting brittle, just like pistol and rifle cases that split.

[​IMG]

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Age hardened.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I reload these all the time. I've reloaded thousands and thousands of these, BUT I ONLY RELOAD THME ONCE. I have never seen a split case in all this reloading.

Again, I NEVER reload them more than ONCE.

If you are reloading them multiple times, I'd make a close inspection for small burn holes too.

Regarding the brass splitting: your gun could have a larger than spec chamber diameter, or excessive head space. The above pic tells me excessive headspace. The pic also tells me that the brass had been heavily resized, looking at the sides of it. Another good reason to reload ONCE and let them fly.

Whiz

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I have a bunch of 1970's game loads that all split the rim that way on the 1st shot.

Pressure gets between the base and hull tube and age hardened brass cracks.

regards

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What Gerald said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.