1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John R. Daniels, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John R. Daniels

John R. Daniels TS Member

So is there any truth that paper hulls shoot softer? Whats the logic behind this? Thanks.

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

The paper fiber absorbs some of the initial shock,so I am told. The wife has rounded me up 250 of them for me to load her.

Jerry Lewis

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can she hold 250?

4. NealSS

NealSS Member

I have a Great Recipe with Light recoil In any hull. One ounce of shot,18 18.5 grains of Red-dot.IN any case Remington AA or Federal. Chedditte primers Will smoke targets from 27 yards with little to no recoil. I use chedditte primers because of price and availability here. If you try these please let us know what you think ?

5. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

My son and I load 18.5/19gr Red dot, Remington hulls, 1oz of #8 with Green Duster wads. There is no local source of Cheddite but we use FIO because of price. We both find this a very comfortable load to use... Larry

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO the Federal Paper hull produces a reduced recoil sensation. Actual recoil is the same as a plastic hull but the paper seems to me to compress and spread the recoil energy over a slightly longer period of time.

For significantly reduced recoil you need to reduce the shot charge, reduce velocity, increase gun weight, add a recoil reducing mechanism, shoot a semi-auto or some combination of the above.

You can also increase the shooters weight a significant amount. Newton's second law says Force = Mass x Acceleration. Assuming equal Force, an increase in Mass reduces Acceleration. Pack on 20 or 30 pounds or so and see if this helps.

I bought 5 flats of Federal Paper Extra Light loads at this years Grand and they are very pleasant to shoot. This load contains 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot at 1100 fps. For singles and short handicap, this is all the velocity you really need. You also IMO feel less fatigued on the last 25 targets.

As to reloading the Federal Paper Hull, I like 18 grains of Red Dot, a Federal primer, Clay Buster 12C1 equivalent wad and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot.

Ed Ward

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

who cares, they smell good so?

8. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

The paper hull and federal shells are not tapered like the plastic aa and rememington hulls. I am told that makes a slight difference. I was also told American Select was the closest powder that can be used to be factory. I'm not saying these are facts just what I heard. Thanks Stan

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I shoot games and load papers with 27.6 grns 7625, 1 1/4 oz 7's and a downrange yellow dr12 wad and a CCI Mag primer. Very fast and very soft shooting

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

While not having an engineering degree ( and living with one doesn't seem to be wearing off), its my belief that the paper absorbs much of energy which transmits much of the recoil sensation. Plastic hulls on the other hand transfer the kinetic energy of ignition reward which the shooter has to absorb. Hey Neil n timb99, how'd I do?

11. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

The paper base wads in plastic Fed. hulls seem to shoot soft for me also.
    The pink and red/white/blue charity benefit hulls seem to load better than the Top-Gun or Game and target wally world specials.

The classic load of 18gr. of Red Dot and 1 1/8oz. of shot in these plastic or paper federals shoot very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.