1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paper Hulls vs. Plastic

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mbm5770, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbm5770

mbm5770 Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I have never shot paper hulls but have read that some people believe that they grind targets better.....is this true or urban legend?
  2. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Only if loaded with #7 1/2 spitballs.

Seriously though,that thing between your ears is what grinds the targets the best.Master that and you'll win the Grand.
  3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Had the same question so I went out and bought a flat of Federal papers just to see what all the buzz was about. Other than my wallet being slightly emptier I found no difference. At least I can say I tried them...

I vote "Urban Legend".

4. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Because the Federal Papers tend to have less recoil, due in part because of the paper base, it is quite possible shoot better scores with the paper shells. However, the Federal Plastic rounds will "Crunch" the targets just as well. Odie
  5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    There is no "silver bullet" trap load, you still have to do your part.

The current Federal Paper IMO is a great shell but the older, circa 1980, Federal Papers IMO were better. Still, Federal sells a lot of them at a premium price.

The older Federal Papers had a unique 2 piece "air cushion" wad, the 12C1, which featured a strong plastic base that was driven into a flexible soft plastic upper that created an air chamber that completely sealed the bore and provided a soft air pillow to reduce the deformation of shot. This wad is no longer produced as the tooling finally wore out.

The new Gold Medal plastics and the Gold Medal papers use the same 12S3 wad which used to be called the "Push'n Cushion".

The current Federal Papers are not an urban legend, in that they still work. However, the old paper hull 3- 1 1/8 - 7 1/2 was a favorite of games shooters. The current Remington Nitro 27 is a great shell but I would consider an older paper in the same loading to be its near equal.

As Michael above points out, if you believe that they are better, they are better.

Ed Ward
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paper hulls vs plastic hulls

paper vs plastic hull
paper vs plastic hulls
plastic hulls vx paper hulls