1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Panther DPMS Opinion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I never had a desire to own a AR but have change my mind due to the political atmostfear. I have a chance to buy a DPMS flat top. I need some opinions as I am not too familar with AR's, just M1's,Thompsons and BAR's. You can tell I come from a different time. I have a new Bushnell Holoscope that has been in the safe unused that I thought about a site for it.

Thank you AR owners for your comments. Dave

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

DPMS is one of the better known names in AR's right now. I provide a link to their web site (look at top right and read "Our Story" to get a feel for who they are and what they do).

You don't give the particulars of the specific rifle, but I think your logic is better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. If this is the case you cannot really go wrong with the DPMS.

I guess it really depends on the price you are being asked to pay.

Don't forget mags, but don't over pay for them (I can still find them for $12 ~ $15 bucks a pop), and ammo (good luck on that one).

Welcome to the club.

David D

3. philk

philk Member

Bought a nice used carbine a few years ago, goes bang every time I pull the trigger, very happy with it. Same crummy military trigger they all have but that can be fixed.

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

The DPMS Panther is a good mid level weapon and with your holosight should do most anything you wish.
    As others point out,its pretty likely you'll have problems sourcing mags and ammo.
    Good luck.

5. a budine

a budine Member

I've assembled two for three-gun matches. With proper break-in, both are sub MOA - on a good day - five shot groups under .5. Buy it - shoot it - you won't be disappointed.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I purchased one several years ago (Mod. A-15) to hunt coyotes with and love it. I've owned Colt, and Bushmaster Varmint models also. All are good guns. The Bushmaster was too heavy to carry calling coyotes;good for P-dogs though.

I removed the front sight on the Panther and have a short 2 to 7 P4 sniper reticle on mine. Deadly on coyotes comming to a call. Don't think you will be unhappy with a DPMS. I do shoot only reloads in mine and it has never malfunctioned.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.