1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pandora's Box has been opened

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dmarbell, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Pandora

What follows is only my opinion, based on lurking on the threads about the recent events regarding mass shootings, and the possible impending legislation.

Pandora's Box has been opened.

There is some support on this site for banning "assault weapons," supposedly by shooters. There is also support for banning high capacity magazines.

I have read the definition of "assault rifle." Here is one definition I found from the 1994 ban:

The law specifically names 19 different firearms as patently illegal, and specifies that three or more of the following features present on a single firearm constitutes an assault weapon.

* A folding or telescoping stock

* A pistol grip

* A bayonet mount

* A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one (a flash suppressor reduces the amount of flash that the rifle shot makes. It is the small birdcage-like item on the muzzle of the rifle)

* Muzzle capable of acting as a grenade launcher.

* Magazine capacity over 10 rounds

Now, to me, except for the grenade launcher aspect, none of the other definitions make for an especially deadly weapon aside from the high capacity magazines. I agree that three-10-round magazines in the hands of a skilled shooter would be just a deadly as one-30-round magazine in the hands of some insane knucklehead. But, to me, that is the biggest hazard I can see, if there is one.

As I said, Pandora's Box is opened. There are 3-4 million AK- and AR-style weapons in the hands of the US public. There are millions of high cap magazines.

All the laws written in all the federal and state books didn't stop the shooter in Connecticut from taking his Mom's guns and killing children, and they didn't stop the NY felon from ambushing firefighters. New laws might make some feel better, but they won't stop criminals and insane people.

And don't get me started on getting people to turn in their weapons and magazines - first off, it's unconstitutional.

I have no plans on buying a black rifle at today's inflated prices. I do plan on buying a few hunting rifles, and getting as many 5- and 10-round magazines as I can. Rifles in .243 and .30-06 have ballistics at least as good as .223, and they are cheap by comparison. I plan on becoming as proficient in their use as time allows.

If the time comes, I want as many of you on my side, with low-capacity magazines in your hunting rifles, against any untrained and unqualified madmen with "assault rifles." We'll take them down and show what the 2nd Amendment really means.

Danny

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Popcorn.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pat- None of the restrictions apply to anything but semi-auto firearms.

4. locdoc

locdoc Member

not yet.......

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

So I can't shoot my Benelli, my Remington 1100, my Beretta anymore? How about my Nylon 66, or my 10/22?

6. 3357

3357 Member

I hate to provide them with any ideas, but as trapshooters we are screwed if they mandate all firearms must have a manual safety.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is another verwsion of the gov definition of assault weapon and it requires select fire. I should have saved it, will try to find it again.

HM

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hate to tell ya, but Pandora's Box WAS OPENED a long long time ago.

We have more sheep now and a ton more liberals now.

And ANY ONE who doesn't think that the government of today is not after TOTAL control is either a idiot or un-educated.

History has ALREADY shown US what to expect!!

Learn from it, or stay a IDIOT.

9. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

P3AT you ask a good question in regards to being pulled over by a overly zealous LEO. Try not to travel in the western part of Minnesota on I 90 around the Luverne area. You could have the unfortunate luck of being stopped by Minnesota State trooper "548".

10. psfive

psfive Member

It's not about the guns-----It's about the control.

Paul in GINebraska.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    skeet_man, QUOTE: <I>"Pat- None of the restrictions apply to anything but semi-auto firearms."</I>

You overlook that the enhanced 2004 AWB renewal legislation went after pump shotguns. Any that held six or more shells was included in the ban list. This enhanced list is being used as the basis for the new ban.

12. WIN12 MAN

WIN12 MAN TS Member

WAKE UP >

13. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

When I was a police officer in Washington, DC in the early nineties, a Remington .22 LR pump rifle was classified as a machine gun for DC gun control. Go figure.
    Mike battista

14. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Can somebody explain why the gun below, with only semi-auto capability, and a 10-round magazine, is more dangerous than a Browning BAR or Remington 7400 with the same magazine capacity?

Danny

[​IMG]

15. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Its gotta be that bayonet lug...

16. RayReys

RayReys Member

Because of barrel shroud.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Because it's black of course- LOL

Paint it pink and Gene's gang would love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.