1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Palmer Model J Pool Cue

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rick173, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick173

Rick173 TS Member

I have an original Palmer Model J 1970 right down to the French leather tips. The Blue Book of pool cue values 2ND ed. places the value of this cue in 98% condition at $7100.00 and says it's worth more because no one is selling them.
    The BB edition is from 1999 I can't wait to see what it's worth today. I have pictures I can send to your e-mail if interested.
    Shoot well
    Rick Shoop PA

2. kgp

kgp TS Member

Rick,

Check the web site I inserted. May give you a better idea of value.

I collect cues, and, while I'm no expert on Palmer's, they are fairly common and he made quite a few.

I've got both editions of the Blue Book, and have met the author. Great pictures and a great guy, but the market for collectible cues is so small that it's not possible for him to determine a true market value. Most of the values in his book were estimates from the cue makers.

That being said, the value of collectible cues is definitely going up if you have the right ones. I've seen cues go for over $20,000 that could have been bought two or three years ago for $5,000. On the other hand, I've owned one for seven years that I paid $2,000 that is barely worth that today.

If I can help you learn more about the Palmer or any others, let me know.

Ken

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a couple of original Ray Schuler cues, Anyone know there worth ? , with the price of shot I might go back on the road. Jeff

4. kgp

kgp TS Member

Schuler cues are worth about $300 to over $1,000 depending on model and condition. While they are a great cue, one of the best playing cues available, they are currently not considered collectible, unless you have something extremely rare. Top end, highly sought after cue makers usually make less than 50 cues a year, sometimes as few as ten and the wait list can be years. Schuler cues are a low volume production cue, maybe 1,000 to 2,000 per year. Viking, McDermott, etc. will make that many a week.

For those that like nice wood and inlay, check out the website I included above. Tony makes some of the most beautiful cues in the world, and I'm lucky to own a few of them. He's become a personal friend and I've been to his shop many times. He also likes to shoot, and has some cool antique guns.

Ken

5. oldcop

oldcop Member

Wow!

Interesting website, Ken...to think his entire current production goes to only 2 men. What a rare treat just to be able to sink one last ball in a run with one of Tony's cues!

Jim

6. kgp

kgp TS Member

If you can find a Balabushka, it would probably go for at least $10,000, maybe a lot more if it was well documented or proven to be owned by someone famous. There are a lot of fakes that even fool the experts. Serious collectors will have the cue x-rayed to check the pin configuration, and even then it's a crap shoot. I met a Japanese collector at a cue show who had a collection of fakes that he thought were real that cost him well over $100,000. He is the Japanese buyer of Black Boar cues and the son of a rich industrialist. His collection is valued at well over $1 million.

Here's a picture of my Black Boars.

Ken

7. kgp

kgp TS Member

one more

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ken,

Do you have any info on cues made by Pete Tascarella. HMB

9. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Back in the early 70's everyone in our area wanted Vikings. I have one tucked away somewhere.

Dale

10. kgp

kgp TS Member

I don't know a lot about Tascarella cues. He supposedly bought Balabushka's equipment and supplies from George's widow. He's been making cues since the 70's in the style of Balabushka and appear to have strong value. From what I've seen, prices range from $2,000 to well over $5,000.

Ken

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Ken. I bought one of his cues many years ago for $400. Seems like it was a good investment. HMB

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    For that price you'd think it would have a rib, hand checkering and a recoil reducer built in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
palmer colectiable cues

palmer cue values

palmer cues 4018

palmer cues for sale

palmer pool cues for sale
palmer pool cues price
vintage palmer cue for sale
what year was the palmer model j pool cue made