1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Palm swell glue

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Whats the best permanent glue to hold a rubber palm swell on the wood? mine keeps coming up in a warm room temp. Thanks Butch H

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Butch the checkering must be completly clean. Try contact cement. Joe Goldberg

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Might try Gorilla Glue. But practice with wood someplace else, that stuff really flows and can make a mess.

4. nipper

nipper TS Member

spray adhesive will work just fine avaliable at lowes/home depot etc,use painters masking tape to spray the stock side

Bill

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Put palm swell in place a wrap around entire grip with tennis racket tape.

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

no i have not but i use spray adhesive on other work i do,i think it will work in this application as well. goo gone makes a good remover of mistakes

bill

7. sturgeon

sturgeon Member

Butch et al. You could try 3M-90 hi strength adhesive or Sprayway 66 (both aerosols). They are both recommended for sticking machinable wax for CNC tooling set-up trials. Steve B

8. WWB

WWB Member

Are the various glues named above also going to be harmful to the wood &/or finish when pad is removed? How about the goof off--this hurt the wood finish?
    I also have trouble having mine stick on --especially around the edges.
    Thank you for any further help or suggestions. Warm here--Colo--40 above--just west of us about 60 miles they've gotten 5 feet in the last couple days.
    Come on Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bill

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

3M VHB line of doublesided tapes. May or maynot destroy the wood. Surfaces must be clean.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Put a thin coating of Crazy Glue Gel on both surfaces. Take an inner tube from a bicycle and cut a 1 inch wide by 1 foot long strip of rubber from the tube. Place the palm swell in position on the stock and wrap it with the rubber strip, keep stretching the rubber while you wrap it around the palm swell. Let it sit for an hour, and then unwrap it. HMB

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I see a lot of guys just tape them, wrap it right around the stock.

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just get some tennis rack tape at sporting goods store and wrap away. Holds good ,feels good.

13. WWB

WWB Member

Alot of you seem to use the Tennis racket tape--I don't particularly care for the look of tape on a rather pretty stock.........the Super glue gel--good suggestion--but didn't answer the question about how it comes off.
    Thanks
    Bill

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The guy you should listen to is the second post made here: the gunfitter. Joe Goldberg is a well respected gunstock fitter, and if he says contact cement, then that is what you should use.

Do not use super glue gel or any cyanoacrylate as they will ruin the finish.

15. loweight

loweight Member

I found some 4" heat shrink, removed the stock,put it over the palm swell and used a heatgun. I have had it on a 390 for over 5 years. It can be found at Electroic Stores.
    Bobby

16. WWB

WWB Member

Dick/Bobby
    Thank you.......
    Bill

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Goof Off will ruin the finish if it is one of the polyurethane types.

18. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Automotive gasket adhesive.

19. Obs

Obs TS Member

I used some of the leftover material that Keensite uses to attached their ribs. Its RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone. Permatex sells RTV as gasket adhesive for about $5 at most hardware and auto parts stores. It fills the seam at the edge of the swell and all of the voids at the checkering which results in a really solid bond. You can remove the swell at any time by running monofilament fishing line under the swell. The RTV then peels off of the stock fairly easily without damaging the finish.

20. WWB

WWB Member

OBS
    That sounds like the best yet............& I got the word on goof off and some of the adhesives named thanks-----I'd like not to have the stock refinished if I ever take the swell off--so far I find it really helps and feels good---plus seems to help me place the gun in the same position each time.
    Thanks again all
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adhesive palm swell