1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Palm sell, any benefits???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have never owned a shotgun with palm swell. To be honest, being left handed, I have not seen many left handed guns with it. I have very small hands for a man, and I am remaking my pistol grip as I write.

I have been thinking this over and I don't know if there are really any benefits to having palm swell? Do you have palm swell on your shotguns, any benefits?

If you don't have palm swell on your shotguns, why not?
    Steve Balistreri
  2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Some people love them and some don't. I like the ones on my Perazzi's but a fellow shooter just got a new custom fitted Perazzi without one. I asked why and he said he did not like them.

Guess its personal preference.

TB
  3. senior smoke

Is it strictly for personal comfort, or is there more to it?
    Steve
  4. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

It helped me with trigger control when I went to a release trigger.
  5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

The trigger hand is the controlling hand for shotgun control whether pulling the trigger or releasing it!

Hap
  6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe Active Member

I had it removed from my K-80 sporter. Small hands also, and not afflicted with the trapshooter's right-hand fixation.
  7. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello all,,

New guy here, I have read a few articles that say " Don't step on the
    firing line thinking you need something "

Could be a palm swell, adj buttplate, adj rib or comb, could be a weight
    in the stock, barrel weight, hi -viz sight etc. etc.

What the author was pointing out, " Don't get caught 1/2 way through the
    program daydreaming about what equipment might help your scores "

Take care of all that during your practice sessions, not your
    registered events. easy to say ???
  8. 682b

682b Member

hwy 13 Most if not all experienced shooters will agree on the need for a clear head well focused ready to see the bird kill the bird just that fast. About palm swells I like them some don't. I don't like champagne either. I guess I have no class, but I am a good pointer
  9. senior smoke

hwy13-
    Welcome to the site. You just might be giving good advice. One thing about us trapshooters, there has never been a product made, invented, that we haven't considered to try and get the one extra target.
    Steve Balistreri
  10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have small hands too. When I had stocks made for me I requested a small swell and a shorter pistol grip radius. The swell filled my palm completely and I believe made my grip more stable and positioned my trigger finger more uniformly. I think you need to experiment until your hand fits the best for you.
  11. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

I think it helps in controlling the trigger--especially a release trigger. It also makes it easier to mount your hand in the same place on the grip each time.I like them...SMOKIT
  12. senior smoke

I found an ad in the 2011 Gamaliel shooting supply list of items they sell. They sell something called "Hand Eez Palm Swell" made out of Sorbothane. The ad states that their palm swell "absorbs shock and vibration which helps alleviate hand and finger cramps. Also helps reduce hand fatigue thus increasing the shooter's ability to control the gun".

I have been shooting 41 years and I never suffered from finger and or hand cramps, or hand fatigue. Not saying that it could not happen, just that I have never experienced it, or have heard anyone else ever talking about that happening to them.
    Steve
  13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Steve, If your Left hand (trigger finger hand)has never hurt in the wrist after a long day of shooting, I say don't worry about it. The palm swell sort of brings your wrist outward away from the stock and when gun is fired, this works to take up the shock at your wrist, instead of keeping all the arm/hand bones in a strait line. I like this feeling while I shoot. I think it helps me pull the trigger better and more comfortable while I shoot. My 525 has this, my BT-l00 does not!!! While I really like my BT-l00 I love my 525. I believe there are two reasons why I feel this way. First is the palm swell, and the second is the oil finish. The oil finish really helps keep my eye from moving as much, mostly on those sweaty hot summer days like we have now. The nice high gloss finish makes my face slide around way to easy in these conditions. Just some food for thought. Good Luck on your new stock. Do try someones palm swell before you go making one now. Break-em all. Jeff
  14. Tron

Tron Well-Known Member

Yes, a palm swell that fits your hand is very benificial being that a proper grip works with proper form. That said, a palm swell that doesn't fit you is worse than not having one at all.
  15. senior smoke

Jeff:
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve

Tron: I am going to a local club tomorrow to see if I can find a left hand shooter with palm swell. A friend of mine told me that I must have to much time on my hands since I am retired, as he feels palm swell doesn't do anything for a shooter other than add weight to the stock. I asked him if he ever had a gun with palm swell? He said not sure. I would think if you once had a gun with palm swell you would remember?? Regardless, if it feels better than the standard grip on my gun, why not try it? I don't think it will have any effect on my scores, but if it is more comfortable, why not?
    Steve
  16. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mine gives me a confident feeling of my grip. Does it help???
  17. senior smoke

bigdogtx:
    If it gives you more confidence than that has to be good.
    Steve
  18. 1166

1166 TS Member

anyone know where to purchase one of the stick on ones.
  19. waverider

waverider Member

Above is the link to Gamaliel's website.

Jason
  20. cunninmp

cunninmp TS Member

Hey All,

Ok. my BT99 Golden Clays has no palm swell. My CG Maxum Combo has

a right hand palm swell. The CG is much more comfortable.

With the palm swell I find it much easier to mount the same every

time. A much tighter mount. Oh, and I do have smaller hands.

If I were to have a custom stock made, it would have a palm swell.

But, what works for me, might not work for others.

I think there are benefits to a palm swell, now that I have one.

Mike C.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.