1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting wallpaper-need help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Need help guys! In the process of rejuvenating my house which was built in 1973 era! I have a bath and hallway that still has wall paper! The last time I tried to strip wallpaper at another home, resulted in a disaster as the walls were not "sized" first! Anyway, I am not taking a chance and want to convert these walls to paint! Going to Google, the articles do not even hesitate and advise there is not a problem as long as the walls are prepped properly and then painted with an alcohol based primer before the final coat! Therein lies my problem! My local hardware (which I thought carried everything) did not carry this product. I then checked Walmart and Lowes with no success! Does anyone have an alternative product or source? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't paint over the wall paper for anything. Did you try renting a wall paper steamer? I did an old house that had literally 5 layers of wall paper on the living room walls. Although it was a little time consuming with the multiple layers, the steamer did make easy work of it. I would steam about a 3'x 3' section and then scrape it right off in large sheets with a plastic scraper. This method shouldn't be too hard for a bathroom and the end result will be much nicer in my opinion.

Make sure you rent a contractors grade wall paper steamer. Don't settle for some Harbor Frieght junk.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I had the same in my last house,and to tell the truth you'll be better off putting up new wallboard. In the bed room I stripped the wallpaper off,scrubed the walls ,put up a sealer and after all that after the paint dried,it looked like marbel,little cracks all over.I ended up tanking all the wallboard off and putting up new.Sorry wish I had better news.Maybe you can find some other paper you might like and just repaper,just a thought. Good luck...Ray

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Get a steamer and take the paper down. May take some repair afterwards but worth the effort for the fianl result.

5. tcr1146

Keep em coming boys as the "how to" articles on google say no problem if done correctly! Matt, the last house had not been "sized" (painted or sealed drywall). The paper with a steamer actually pulled chunks out of the wall! Removing was not an option! I painted it and after two coats was pretty good! I am just interested in finding this alcohol base primer paint! Tom Rhoads

6. tcr1146

Thank you big ski! I googled alcohol based primer and found out why confused. The shellac based primers use denatured alcohol to thin and clean. Bin is one of them! Thanks again, Tom Rhoads

7. T-Sobania

T-Sobania TS Member

I would recomend removing the wall paper and yes once it's off there will be repairs that have to be made to the drywall but in the end it will be done right.

If you're positively sure, absolutely sure, beyond any doubt that you want to proceed with painting over it,you can. However, the prep is much more difficult than a smooth wall.If the wallcovering is vinyl..disregard my advise. Vinyl wallcovering will cause you a big headache in years to come.

Wash it first! Warm soapy water and rinse.
    If you want the seams to diminish, feather-sand them lightly, fill with spackle, sand lightly again. Glue down any loose corners, seams, etc. Now, for primer.
    Prime it with GARDZ water base wallpaper primer.
    GARDZ will dry hard and clear. If the paper is busy or dark, prime over the GARDZ with an acrylic primer tinted to the new color.

Finish with two coats of quality 100% acrylic latex.

8. BrowningGuy

BrowningGuy Member

I have been in drywall business for 20 years and I hate when people call me to fix drywall when wallpaper didnt come off easy, lol. Good luck, and just take your time. Tony

9. mike2010

mike2010 TS Member

Kilz also makes the primer you are looking for,go to a paint store like MAB or Sherwin Williams and they will be able to help you.Hope this helps Mike

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Go to a Dunn-Edwards store they have everything you would need and can advise you the best way to cover the wall paper and get a nice job out of it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

Add a little fabric softener to the water before spraying it on the wall paper. It might help dissolve the old glue.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Usually if the wall was prepared right the texture was removed or not added where the wallpaper is installed. Even when cleaned well of adhesive the wall will not look evenly textured. I would remove the paper, patch the holes, and have it textured. Texture will cover up the imperfections in the wall. Jon

13. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

after removing wallpaper u need to prime with oil primer before patching or anything so you dont get a crackle finish from glue you cannot get all the glue off u ca use a latex primer if you like but i always use oil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.