1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting Stock and Forend?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Have a gun I was thinking about painting the wood that is scratched up. Any pointers on the process and what about the checkering?

2. ouch

ouch Member

Has anyone here actually followed those site instructions and obtained good results ? Thanks,Richard

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Strip the old finish off using paint remover. Mask the checkering, Spray about 6 coats of automotive primer on using a spray can or as many as it takes to fill the grain. Sand between coats with 400 or 600 grit using water. Using a air brush, paint what ever color on that you like (Craytex air brush paint, it's cheap). About 6-10 light coats using a heat gun to dry each coat before applying the next. Final two or three coat are Boat polyurethane let dry about 20 minutes between coats. Oh checkering! I almost forgot. When you spray the final coat of paint remove the masking tape and paint the checkering. Let it dry and re-mask. Do like wise on the final finish coat. let the stock set for at least 24 hours before using. I've use this method a number of times, and it has always turned of great. And it's kind of fun.

As a matter of fact, my Ljutic is painted "Gold" right now. But has been several other colors Lately however, I've been thinking about changing it to black with silver highlights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.