1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting a wood stock - help please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tumbleweed, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Getting ready to paint a cheap stock that is part wood and part bondo. Wondering what kind of primer and paint works best. Please keep in mind this is a low budget project.

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

What works best is not low budget! Dennis DeVualt has found a coating he has good things to say about. Look up his web site, DeVualt Industries, and give him a call. Jake

3. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Get yourself a two part urethane automotive primer. With that as a base you can put anything over the top. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me as a sideline to my professional shooting career, I have to sell automotive paint to buy ammo. Jw

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Most any decent auto body paint will work well. DupliColor in spray cans works well. Be sure to spray a good coat of primer/sealer first or the Bondo will soak up the paint and leave a dull area. Spray technique will be the determining factor as to how it turns out. Good luck, Marc

5. ouch

ouch Member

Pat, Any chance you would have a link to Mikes site ? Thanks,Richard

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Easiest way: Spray about 6 light coats of auto primer after sanding and removing old finish. light sand between coats. Spray using an air brush with Craytex (100's of colors) auto paint (water based), from 10 to 20 very light coats. Dry between coats with an hair dryer (very quick). Finish off with 2-3 coats of Boat polyurethane. Let dry 48 hours. I've used this method a number of times on my Ljutic/PFS/Bondo, and it works great. I change colors about every year. Presently, it's Gold Pearl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.