1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painted Stocks?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootintom, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

I know that all you trap shooters out there probably won't know but the sporting clays and skeet shooters might. I have to get a new stock for my daughters' Browning 325 since she's outgrown it. What I'd like to know is what type of paint is used by the stock makers out there that are painting stocks? It was painted originally because it was offered by Browning as one of the Women's Sport Shooting Foundation (I think) guns that was turquoise in color and she'd like me to repaint it pink. She's a skeet shooter so cut her some slack about the color.

The game plan is to get a Wenig New American and fit it to her and then paint it but I don't know what will hold up.

Thanks.

Tom

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

There is a thread on a beretta painted stock that says automotive paint was used. FWIW. jm

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In a previous thread I stated that I went to Maaco and the manager painted an 870 stock for me in Candy apple red like the Mustang car in the 60's. They used auto paint, then they use some type of auto gloss. A friend of mine had one done in purple too. They looked fantastic.
    Steve Balistreri

4. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

Thanks all, I was leaning in the direction of automotive paint but wasn't sure what the stock painters out there weere using. I've got a few friends in that line of work so I'll pull in a few markers.

Tom

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I call this gun the Oregon State Beavers SX-1. I sold Chuckles the Oregon ducks Stock. This looks good because the guy who paited it is a high end auto body paint man. he spent more time prepping then he did painting. This thing is so orange you can't believe it. beaver fans love it! Jeff

6. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Try this link. A quick "How To" on painting stocks.

http://www.mikericklefs.com/howto/htpaint1.html

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jeff:
    Looks fantastic, never thought of that color.
    Steve

8. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Hydro dip it.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I am painting one as I write this. One coat is in the process of drying. I shoot a Ljutic with a PFS. So I have a wood forearm, plastic and bondo grip, and a custom made cheek piece, I made out of different wood. So I paint them all. This is the third time. I have two identical three piece stocks in terms of material. I use Auto-Air color in a air-brush. Then finish with commercial Urethane. It will stay looking nice for about a year. So I repaint every winter. It's the same paint you will see on the trick motorcycle paint jobs. And it's easy to use.

10. Bridger

Bridger Member

[​IMG]

Here's my "bowling ball" gun as the jealous guys at the gun club call it. Painted by Mike Ricklefs a couple of years ago. I love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.