1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painted Stock Update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Guy, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy

Guy Member

Well, here it is.....I'll have to shoot it awhile to see how it holds up. I mixed in sand with the grip material, and it's almost sharp to the touch.....but I shoot with gloves, and it works great. Again, we'll see how it lasts.

Even though Hydro-dip is not doing any more wood stocks for now, I think they will be up and running soon. The only issue I had was the clearance between the top lever and the wood....after it was painted, the lever just barely dragged on the wood, and I had to sand it down just a tad.....then alittle felt pen. Also, the next time, I would have the forend checkered with larger diamonds. The smaller ones tend to fill in somewhat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Looks to me like you messed up a really nice stock. But, to each his own, that's what makes the world go around.

Gnd J

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You lost me. What was painted? That isn't actual wood grain? And what is that ugly stuff on the pistol grip? And why?

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

WGH- It looks as if you fooled the first two posters. I have my grip wrapped with the stuff used to wrap tennis rackets, I like the "grip pad" to go all of the way around the grip, but I do have some problem keeping it in place.

Pat Ireland

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Pat, I wasn't referring to the painted stock, just the cow pie material on the grip.

Gne J

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Well, thank heavens for that!! Actually, I thought it looked like the non-slip stick-on sheets they sell for bathtubs, swimming pools, etc.; but the post suggested it was an applied material.

Please get it off there. It looks just too ugly. As the late Ricardo Montabalm used say:" It's more important to look good than feel good "

7. Guy

Guy Member

This even more fun than anticipated.

Yes, it is paint....and the applied grip material mixed with some sand.....and I won't say I don't care what it looks like, but the idea is about performance, not cosmetics.....I've got other guns for looks.

This grip surface would not be fun bare handed....it is sharp....but I use gloves, and it is perfect. The idea is I won't have to deal with checking burning off every 6 months....and after using it for awhile, I may re-do it with alittle less sand.

The paint is applied to a very sleepy fencepost stick of Bastogne, heavy and hard.....and doesn't look too shabby for $145 I think.

Now we'll just see how long it lasts....and we'll start with zz's on Sunday.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing the final product with us. The applied wood grains look great. I think it's very close to what Beretta did on their XtraWood stock (for weather proofing).

As for the grip, I always remember not to say anything if I don't have anything good to say. :)

But I do have a question, if you wear gloves, 1) it shouldn't be slippery, 2) and the checkering shouldn't wear off in 6 month.

What kind of gloves you wear? Maybe that's where the problem is.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Sorry but that is ugly.

10. Guy

Guy Member

I use GunGloves.... and maybe it takes alittle longer than 6 months....but this is just a project. My hands get cold easy, and sweat like the dickens when it's warm. This is the gun I use on birds and zz's.....thumper loads.....I need to hold on.

kraiza.....hope I beat your butt with this ugly stick some day.

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks all that bad.

Have you ever thought of stippling as an alternative to checkering?

12. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I like it. Was thinking about the same thing on a 390. Let us know how it works.
    Jimmy

13. Guy

Guy Member

Don't know how you could stipple wood, and have it last any longer than checking.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

WGH,

Kinda neat grip, but I'm having a hardtime understanding the need for texturing the grip.

I was thinking about a smooth palmswelled grip. What made me think of this is the grip on my GP-100 .357. It has a wooden outer frame and a rubber insert. This grip reduces/eliminates quite a bit of vibration. I get virtually no hand fatigue after shooting 70-80 rounds of fairly hot loads. I find this grip to work very well even when my palms start to sweat.

I have a set of really nice screwdrivers with a similar type of rubber used in the grip. These dudes won't slip in your hands even if they are covered in grease.

ss

15. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

It's purty nice. But you gotta do what I do... Get a release and as you release the trigger on a target you let the gun go free. Then you willnot have these chafing/grip issues

16. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

WGH, I like your stock. You need to hear the positive sides of your work as well. I, like yourself, always shoot with gloves (I shoot with one on both hands). My hands sweat in the hot, South Texas days, and I keep a supply of the thin leather golf gloves (matched sets I pick up at Academy) and change them out over the day as they get wet. They last longer this way. The one thing I would comment on is what you also noted, that the sand impregnation might be a little too rough, and lessen it up sometime in the future. I like how you recessed it into the pistol grip area and the dipped stock came out really nice. I had a 390 dipped by SportCoat Gun Finishes a few years ago and it's holding up nice.

Pat Ireland, I do just as you do on all of my competition guns. I have the rubber or sorbathane "grip extension" on the pistol grip area and then wrap the edges with Wison tennis grip tape to make sure it doesn't peel up over the years. I mend it when it needs it, but that isn't often. I tried to get a picture of the buttstocks of my gun on here, but I think I failed, so I will send a picture to cubancigar2000 (who has "bailed" me out before on pics) to show what I have done with my guns. It might be something WGH could do in this situation as well.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This is for Mike Hesson Victoria TX
    [​IMG]

18. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Thanks Lou (cubancigar2000),

The picture is a little out-of-date now, I just upgraded the wood set on my main trap gun (the gun on the far right) to a pretty piece of Bavaria Grade wood, and I had my gunsmith put on a different style adjustable butt. I moved my grip extension over to the new wood, but my gunsmith didn't want me to cover up any of the nice grain on the new stock with my "Don't Mess with Texas" stickers and i agreed with him and didn't put one on the new stock.

Mike* (MH*)

19. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

RE- Stippling. I was thinking about something along these lines.

20. Guy

Guy Member

skeet man: I like the look of that....but still the same issue of burning it off. Do you have a close up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.