1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paint removal question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 17, 2013.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

This is probably a stupid question but I won't know if I don't ask. I replaced a door on my Toyota truck.It is painted flat white with some kind of cruddy looking paint but under that layer of paint is the factory proper color for the rest of the truck. I am far far from home without a compressor or paint equipment and if there's any way to get that outer layer of paint off without destroying the original I'd like to. Any ideas?

2. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Dose the paint look like a cheap paint? I worked for DOT in the sign shop for 43 years, most all new car paints are what is known as waterborn. The spray can stuff is not. Try in a spot you will not notice use Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray it on let it set about 25 mins. and wash it off. If that does not work try acetone. Again in a spot you will not notice like the inside of a door panel.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It does look cheap. Thanks Bernie.

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

If its waterborne, Goof Off from Home depot may work. Jeff

5. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

For what its worth,try a high pressure sprayer.If it's cheap paint it most likley was not done right from the start and those sprayers will take paint off. I found out the hard way. Ray

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks people.