1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Painless removal of the 391 valve nuts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by neophyte, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

I wanted to pass along a tip to my Beretta brethren that, had I known about it earlier, would have saved me some bruised knuckles and a lot of frustration.

Thanks to the guidance and encouragement I received here, I recently purchased a used Urika Trap 12-gauge that was being offered for sale on this site, and have had a grand time knocking clay targets out of the sky. Even cleaning the gun has been fun -- all except the dreaded gas cylinder assembly.

As 391 owners know too well, there are two valve nuts which need to be removed before one can gain access to the cylinder innards and gas ports. The first one is a locking nut, and can be very difficult to remove with those silly faux wrenches Beretta supplies. And the second one is very deeply threaded, so using the wrenches means many, many repositioning of those tiny tools. A complete pain in the neck.

I'm happy to say life changed for the better for me when I was guided to a product called WonderSocket, a machine-milled steel socket designed for one purpose only: to remove those two nuts, using either a socket wrench or power drill. I purchased one immediately, and cannot say enough nice things about it.

So impressed and appreciative was I that I decided to post the pertinent information at the bottom of my Beretta page (http://jdallas.home.att.net/beretta.html) for other 391 owners to consider.

My understanding from the guy who invented, patented, produced, and has been marketing this tool is that his inventory is near its end -- and that he will not be going back into production. So if you want one, I suggest you act sooner than later. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I may even get myself a spare before they run out.

Thanks again, gents, for your pivotal role in getting me started in this addictive sport. <G>

Have a great day.

John

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Man...you guys put waaaaaaayyyyy too much into how "complicated" a 391's gas system is (and 391's in general). They are actually VERY VERY simply shotguns and, in my opinion the best auto ever produced by far (and I have had all of them). It's just that it hasn't "Martyrized" itself yet...that meaning, they are still being produced.

Tron

3. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

Actually, I couldn't agree more, Tron.

When I was first reading comments about the "complicated" process of field-stripping the 391, I was a bit uncertain. But after watching a guy at my range do it a couple of times, and then trying it for myself at home, I soon realized it's actually easy and a lot of fun.

Naturally it's more challenging than a side-by-side, but the pleasures and benefits of this gun are beyond what I could have hoped for.

The WonderSocket removed the only frustrating aspect (except for pulling out the trigger group, which is still pretty tight).

I've concluded the 391 is a legend in its own time.

John

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have been using a wrench that I bought from Cole Gunsmithing in Maine , for several years, removing the nuts is not a problem with their tool.----Phil

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Gamliel Shooting Supply carries a special 391 cleaning kit which contains a number of specialized brushes,etc to make cleaning of the 391 easy. The kit also contains a special speed wrench which makes removal of the valve nuts a snap. I have used one of these kits since I bought my 391 a couple of years ago and it works just fine. I think Gamliel will be carrying this kit for a long to come, so supply of the special speed wrench does not appear to be any problem.

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Just looking at that thing makes me jumpy!!! I need my 870... Just one little screw-off cap. I can't take any more than that. Just too complicated.

Steve

7. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

I dont need any wrench's to cleam my 303's

8. Tron

I don't have to "Cleam" my 391. What exactly is cleaming??? Cleam....Hmmmm.

Tron

9. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

Shame on you, Tron, for making fun of a speech impediment! <G>

10. Tron

OK....I'll "Cleam" up my act.

Tron

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I've got one that works the same way and that tool makes that job a breeze. When friends asked, I couldn't remember who made mine. Thanks for the info. GOOD LUCK

12. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

A guy on another gun site raised the issue of whether the WonderSocket was made offshore somewhere, which made me curious, so I emailed the inventor. Turns out all aspects of the venture are purely American, including the machining of the sockets.

Makes you feel good, doesn't it?

I saw that kit Jimrich60 mentioned (above) and it looked cool. As it happened, though, I had already bought all the cleaning products before I discovered how much of a pain those Beretta wrenches are, so being able to snag the WonderSocket on an a la carte basis was great -- and it saved me a lot of dough.

Cheers.

jdb

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I clean my 303 once every 2 years whether it needs it or not.

HM

14. tgene

tgene Member

What I found to be painless was to put the Beretta 391 away and start shooting a Benelli Super Sport. I got tired of cleaning the gas system and purchased a Benelli Super Sport, added a forend weight and some weight in the butt stock and the recoil is really comparable. What a dream to clean, shoot a 1000 rounds and can't hardly tell it's been shot. Anyone want to buy a 391 parallel comb?

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Email:
    Date: Wed, Feb 06, 2008 - 07:16 PM CT
    Website Address:

"I don't have to "Cleam" my 391. What exactly is cleaming??? Cleam....Hmmmm."

Let him that is without sin cast the first stone (or something Biblical like that)

Email:
    Date: Wed, Feb 06, 2008 - 05:46 PM CT
    Website Address:

"Man...you guys put waaaaaaayyyyy too much into how "complicated" a 391's gas system is (and 391's in general). They are actually VERY VERY simply shotguns"

"Simply"? shotguns ;)

Now these guys are getting into my territory, I thought I was the master of typo's.

16. Tron

HEY!!!! I meant "simple" and YOU know it!!! And another thing, I'll be the forum Troll, if you DON'T mind! Jeeze.

Tron

17. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Ok, it was just the product of a boring, cold dark winter night.

After reading that first post and looking at the picture, I think I'll keep the 1100 even with the much DREADED "O" ring (oh, oh, I did it again, didn't I)

18. Tron

Dammit....you know that you said the "O" word and don't try and play innocent. What a dweeb. Where are the moderators when we need them??

Tron

19. neophyte

neophyte TS Member

Boys! Boys! Don't MAKE me send you to your rooms!

20. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 exhaust valve wrench