1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Padded Comb regular Comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Craig12, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

Thinking of adding a adjustable comb to my gun.
    What is the benifits to a padded comb over the regular comb?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If your gun fits,you don't need a padded comb. If it bumps you,a padded comb might help some.CED

3. high 2

high 2 Member

A soft comb allows a cushion for your face. Some shooters have a very sensitive face. Usually if gun fit is where it should be, they aren`t necessary. Also if you do have one made for your gun, you might think about having a regular comb job done, but also having a second comb made with the soft top on it. It usually turns people off if you go to sell it, especially if it`s nice wood. Larry

4. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

Well, I am having a comb installed and I was just think of putting on the padded comb. It is an extra $50, so I was thinking of just adding it.

5. Craig12

Craig12 TS Member

That is a great idea. I really like the look of the wooded comb but really want the padded. That should not be much more.
    thanks high2 and everyone that helped.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Have the wood comb done for looks and have a padded comb done for shooting. Put the wood one away for safe keeping.........you'll like shooting with the padded one so much you won't likely put the wood one back on unless you decide to sell the gun.

John C. Saubak

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Well-Known Member

Padded combs are often added (as was stated) by shooters shooting guns that don't fit them or have flawed gun mounts. They treat a symptom (cheek punishment) quite effectively while ignoring its cause.

The advice to have two combs made is sound. Selling a gun with a padded comb can red-flag the gun by indicating caused cheek slap. Less knowledgeable buyers will not know that how the gun fits may be different for them that it was for the buyer and even if it isn't, that the cheek slap can be corrected by changing a stock dimension or two.

Rollin

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Having shot both the padded and unpadded. I would go with the padded every time.

IMHO!

Hauxfan!

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

I would also go padded, as I have shot both. You can really push your cheek down on the gun. This helps with not lifting your head. It makes a big difference after a long shoot. Having both is not a bad idea either. Keeping the original wood always helps with resale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.