1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PACT digital scale problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Toly99, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toly99

Toly99 TS Member

Bought a new Pact 1500 digital scale. The scale is drifting terrible and has to be rezeored constantly. I have eliminated most of the enviromental interferences ( I think) such as no cordless cell phone, no FM radio, no flouresent lighting, and is plugged into a dedicated electrical outlet. I have noticed that when my hand approaches the scale to wiegh the powder the scale erractically drifts! I called Pact directly they told me the cure is to hold a antistatic dryer sheet in my hand while wieghing. Ha ha no difference! What to do?

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Send the POS back.... I had the same problems. Could never get it to work. There are better and more accurate scales out there and this is not one of them

TB

3. Pump Gun Pimp

Pump Gun Pimp TS Member

I had one and sold it on Ebay and got rid of it. Air movement, no matter how minute, would affect it. The heat kick on, it drifted, I breathe anywhere near it, it drifted, and Yes, when I moved toward it, I pushed enough air to make it drift. It was accurate, but terribly sensitive. I now have a Lyman 1200 and am happy. Funny thing is, I find I still use my old 1964 Lyman Ohaus 505 beam scale the most.

4. Robb

Robb Member

That's really weird. I love mine. Maybe they have cheapened up. Keep it on a seperate table from the press.

5. Toly99

Toly99 TS Member

I called Midway USA, great customer service, they are refunding my money no questions asked. I ordered a Dillon scale. See ya at the Spring Grand!!!!

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

toly99, all the digitals are very sensitive to any air current - just walking up to them can set them in motion for a moment or two. I load in the garage and all doors and windows are closed, no blowers or fans if I'm going to be weighing with seriosity. A check every 100 or so for my deep seated anality usually can be pulled off with a fan on during the summer but only if it's pointed away from the weighing area. HOWEVER, I have both a very old Dillon and a brand spanking new Pact and it is the Dillon that I prefer while the Pact languishes in a drawer. I think you'll like the Dillon just fine....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

I have a Dillon E-scale that I will sell for $80 shipped. Like new. I bought it from a friend and never used it. low8X2@yahoo.com

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Frank,

You're a glutton for self-abuse. There isn't a scale made that is worth investing that kind of foolishness in it.

Get a beam balance and start enjoying yourself!

Morgan

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Capt. Morgan, I've said it before here and only give the opposite view cuz few people think of this. The beam scale is a good device for 99% of any situation however, most folks don't think about when they move it to this place or over to that place, from bench to desk or sometimes even from a couple of inches from where it was, it needs to be zeroed again. I've turned a balance beam scale 90 degrees but in the same spot and had it go far enough off to be a grain one way or the other. Ideally they should be placed on an actual level surface and secure location and never moved without a re-zero. The digital scales, once zeroed for your location on earth, will be reliable at both ends of the desk, bench, on a shelf, and so on without any concerns. I can move that digital all over the loading area in my garage and the weights simply don't change. This is worth the extra dollars to the anal, like my own self....breakemall...Bob Dodd

10. Tom

Tom TS Member

I've had both balance and digital (Pact) and won't be going back to balance. As far as I'm concerned, digital is the only way to fly.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Bob,

I completely understand what you're saying and agree with it 100%. My beam sits on a little shelf on the wall above the bench and doesn't move. But I certainly realize that it would need to be re-zeroed if it was moved.

I also agree that a digital should be accurate anywhere once it's been zeroed (although the service dept. at PACT recommends zeroing the scale before each session).

My point is that it sounds as though Frank has a scale that requires him to stand balanced on one leg in the light of the first full moon after April 1 and recite incantations to get the thing to work at all. Anybody that has to go through what he has described to get a scale to work properly needs to simplify their existence and move back to low-tech.

Morgan

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Morgan, your first point is good but how many yahoos just move the balance beam around willy nilly and expect it to be accurate from place to place. I say eliminate such a dilemma if you can afford the digital.

Second, Dillon makes (or at least made) no such suggestion but how long does it take to drop a 165 grain bullet on the tray for a test and then zeroing it is by pushing a button once you know it's accurate. All that faster than using a balance beam and waiting for it to dampen.

Then I'm unsure who "Frank" is but the guy that started the thread has already arranged to return his defective scale so I'll rate his problem real close to solved. That's quite a visual, though, full moon, stand on one leg and so on - hehehe. Then, they paint refrigerators different colors just for folks like us and if it works I'll never tell someone they need to change. I do, obviously, defend the digital scales though - just in case you hadn't noticed..<;-).....breakemall....Bob Dodd

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe I have read on this site that Pact brand manufacturers scales for several other companies, yet we are seeing only problems with the Pacts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how do pact electronic scales work
my pact scale drifts
pact digital scale
pact electronic scale
pact powder scale problems
pact scale

pact scales problems

zero pact digital scale