1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Pacific DL 350 vs Mec progressive loaders?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

I have access to a Pacific DL 350 12 gauge loader...and I also have access to a Mec 650 progressive loader with a hull conditioner. Free..

Here's the kicker..I have to choose just one...

I had Mecs when I loaded years ago..and liked them fine. I'm just now getting back in the game and will start loading again soon. But I know nothing about a Pacific DL 350.

What would be the best choice for those of you who have experience or knowledge of both..

Thanks..Stan Mayfield
  2. Ross

Ross Active Member

Don't know too much about Mec but the Pacific 350 as tigman46 said they are built like a tank, maybe a little slower than the 650 but I doubt that you'll ever wear one out. They were 1st the DL 300--through the years with improvements they became the 350 then 360 and now 366. Bob Dietmeyer was the inventor, hence the name DL--"Dietmeyer Loader" I don't shoot much anymore but still load on a Pacific 266.--Ross Puls
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a Pacific DL300 which is basically the same as the DL350. It is a great machine and hard to wear out or even tear up. It is a bit slower as primers must be fed individually and the shell plate must be indexed(advanced) manually. I still use this old Pacfic from time to time. All this said, I would go with the MEC and here is why. One the MEC will be a little faster. It has the primer feed which sure helps with arthritic fingers trying to handle primers one by one. The most important thing is parts. With the old Pacific above parts are getting hard to come by. A crafty person can adapt some of the newer 366 parts to work but the actual DL350 parts are out of print as far as I know. The MEC on the other hand is still being made as we speak. That makes for a much easier experience when there is a problem. I will say however, if you can tear up a DL350 you probably don't need to be loading anyway. The only real wear part is the wad guide fingers and I adapted 366 fingers to mine. As stated above it is built like a tank.

[​IMG]
  4. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

If you like old reloaders and like tinkering with them, take the 350. (I do) If you like reloading shells to have shells take the MEC. Buy a super sizer and you are good to go.

Ajax
  5. hmb

hmb Active Member

I use a Mec 650 and a case conditioner to resize and deprime the hulls. It is a good combination and turns out very nice shells. HMB
  6. StansCustoms

HMB..

That's the other option I have (a 650 mec w/case conditioner)...I guess not having the resizer and primer punch on the Mec 650 makes the handle stroke a mite easier, maybe even smoother yes/no?

Stan...
  7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Stan, if you use the 650 and load for one gun, you won't need to re-size the spent hulls. They will go back in the gun they were shot in with no problems at all. When I had my 650, I kept my hulls seperated for the two guns I shot and had nary a problem. Yes, it will load easier without the re-sizing die, a little, but easy compared to the 9000.

Hap
  8. StansCustoms

Hap..

Am I uderstanding it is "quite a bit" easier pull than the 9000 or maybe even a Grabber?
  9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

Yes, to me it is quite a bit easier. I loaded on a 9000 as well as others that have the re-sizing dies attached and the 650 was easier to cycle. That die takes some extra horsepower to work the hull over too.

Hap
  10. StansCustoms

Hap..

That's what I was thinking...

Since I'm not going the hydraulic or electric route...that is a good thing. Sooo ... Mec it is I guess...

Thanks..Stan
  11. StansCustoms

Tigman46...

Sorry...

It's free/favor from a pal that has an extra. We have been friends 40 plus years.

He may sell the other one later (won't be free)...but not right now as far as I know. He only loads subgauges right now...but wants to keep a 12 gauge loader just in case.

Stan...
  12. acorange

acorange Member

If anyone is interested I have a Pacific 350 for sale.

75.00 shipped Pic's available to anyone who is interested.

Loader is in S.E. Iowa
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.