1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pacific 366 manufacture date?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StonewallRacing, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I inherited a Pacific 366 from my father-in law. Loaded over 6,000 rounds since I got it last year.

I'm really not sure the date but one of the guys I shoot with asked me how old is was..... I don't have a clue other than it is built like a brick $hit-house and I can make two flats an hour....

Does anyone know when was the Pacific 366 first made?

PH

2. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I got one back in 1976 shortly after seeing it at the Annual NRA meeting held in Indianapolis that year. At the time I seem to recall paying about $200.00 o0r so. I still have the receipt for it somewhere and am still using it.

3. C1

C1 Member

Pacific in Lincoln, Nebraska was making the first ones around 1964. The first ones did not index on their own, you had to insert a empty and rotate the shell plate by hand. The company that did the casting was Bair and they started selling their own model and called it the Polar Bair or Glacier Bair, I can't remember which. Big lawsuit over a few years with Pacific winning and eventually selling the thing to Hornady.

The forerunner of the Pacific loader was the Deitemeier, He owned Western Gun and a few of my friends worked for that company. Bob Deitemeier was a trip of his own. He went broke in so many gun ventures that in the end I'm not sure he had any friends left and the old fellas that knew him could tell stories until your sides hurt. The Hall of Fame has one of the original loaders.

I worked for the company that does the packaging for Hornady and the 366 has been a consistent seller forever. Hornady has made a few improvements but the 366 is basically the same loader that was put on the market over 45 ago.

Gary Riecke

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Best part about it is parts.. though rarely needed as still easily obtained from Hornady..

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Gary thanks for sharing the origins of the Hornday 366. I have heard stories like this before and find them interesting since I live in Omaha. I have to drive right past the factory to stay with my outlaws in Grand Island. Is Hornady building an additon onto their building? Omaha

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a Deitemeirer 12 guage press, the only one that I have ever seen. Makes great shells. HMB

7. Jamesquinn

Jamesquinn TS Member

If it is self-indexing, has swing-out wad guide and bottom drop, it's late 70s/early 80s.

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I got my 366 direct from Jim Garber in 1978 when I was 13. He was the customer service rep for Hornady at the time, and my baby-sitter when I was younger since he had grown up only about 2 block from where my family lived.

He and Joyce Hornady and Ed Heers died in plane crash on the way to the SHOT show in New Orleans on February 15, 1981. One of the saddest days of my life.

But I always thought it was somewhat appropriate that, in 1981, the Nebraska Game and Parks had extended the pheasant and quail season 15 days to February 15.

At the time, it seemed like if hunting season was over, so was Jim. He loved to chase the birds.

9. C1

C1 Member

Western Gun (Pacific) was located in Lincoln in the Goodyear Plant area. I don't know when they sold the rights to Hornady but I'm guessing in the mid-70's.

The rep for Western Gun was Del Grim the winner of the 1966 Grand American Handicap with 100 straight. He helped me get a loader donation for the Boy Scout camp in South Dakota and was a great gentleman who had his day at the GAH. He continued to represent Pacific until they sold to Hornady and I believe worked for Hornady as well as he moved to Grand Island.

As the story was related to me by Del, he had shot his 95th target on post five and made the turn to go to post one to shoot the last five when a member of the squad stopped him to offer his congratulations on his hundred straight. I asked him if he was nervous and he said "not until that point".

Gary Riecke

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

First, is it blue or red? Red puts it into the 70s up to about 79 or so when it became Hornady. Second, does the shell drop out the back or rotate back to the #2 station in the front? Rear drop puts it at early 70s or earlier. Does it have the swing out wad guide, if so, that moves it more to the 70s. best bet is to call hornady on Monday with the Ser#. They will know for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.