1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA State Shoot - Impressive youth presence

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I went to the State shoot for the first time today with my 11 year old daughter to see what it's all about. I was impressed with how many kids were shooting at pretty young ages(9-10). We went to the Beretta truck to see what's available. I heard that the 3901 RL Target was discontinued, but they said there will still be limited runs. Then he said he has one in the back if she wants to shoot it. So we went to the practice field, bought a box of top guns and she shot 10 shells breaking 4 birds. This was the first time she ever fired a 12 ga. She said that it kicked less than her 20ga pump. So, we went looking for the Browning truck to see if they have any micros she can try. Not one micro on the truck. I guess they don't want to promote youth shooting after all. So, she is sold on the Beretta. Now to find $900 under the sofa cushions. We both had a great time. And Wenig Stocks is first class. If there is anyone on here from Beretta, thanks for making her day.

2. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

CLP101, I am glad you and your daughter hada wonderful time at the state shoot.I am also glad Beretta was able to provide you a gun your daughter could shoot.I do think saying Browning doesn't want to promote youth shooting because they didn't have a micro for your daughter to shoot is a little unfair to Browning JMHO. Glad you had a good time. Hoosier

3. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

We had a great time. I was a little harsh, but the Rep was totally uninterested and didn't know anything about the youth guns. My point being if we are going to get kids involved they need to see things first hand to get them excited. I wanted to see the micro midas citori o/u 20ga. Beretta wins here. They took the time to explain things. Anyway, a wonderful experience. The Dry Fire shooting trainer was a hit also.

4. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

Very glad to see the youth getting involved. We had a 14 year old Sub Junior from our Club who had a terrific time at the PA State Shoot. If you look at the R.J. Stuart site for shoot results, check out Ian Fleming from Event #16 through the High Over All at the end.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

There was definitely a lot of youths shooting while I was there. I was lucky enough to shoot with 3 really cool kids during Friday's handicap event. They were so well mannered compared to comparable youths of today.

6. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

CLP101- Glad to hear you are getting your daughter into trap shooting. My son was there competeing for the AIM State Shoot with his team Valley Thunder. The team took third place - beat by one target!!! And my son took home 2nd place in the sub-junior division of the AIM State Shoot.

Where are you located? do you and your daughter live close to elysburg? The Valley Gun Club Located on the same property as the state shoot has a junior team she can join if she is interested. We meet at the Valley Gun Club every wednesday at 6pm for practice. Stop in meet the kids and the coaches heck your daughter can shoot with the team without joining!

Also, I have a used barreta 390ST if you were interested. Shoot me and email and stop down the club and see what we have to offer.

7. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Thanks for the invite. We live in Bloomsburg. She is away visiting my parents in KY for a couple of weeks. When she gets back we'll try to get there. I belong to Orangeville and shoot there but they don't have a junior program. See you in July.

8. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I attended the MA state shoot 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe they had 20 squads shooting the AIM event. Way to go AIM volunteers. JRM

9. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

The AIM program is great!!! It is like ATA light. To be classified (even in your first year) you only need 300 registered targets unlike the 1000 for ATA. Also, the Program has national on-line competitions. Your team shows up at an ATA registed event, they shoot you submit the scores via email. In a few weeks results are posted and trophies are shipped out. Now you can compete nationally from a club that is close to where you live. Me and my son love it!!!

10. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Also, I want to thank all the trapshooters who have gone out of there way to make my son feel like he is a part of this sport. He has met some fantastic guys who just come up to check on his progress, or ask him is age and how long he has been shooting.

It may seem like small talk to you and me but in the eye's of a 14 year old it's like being welcomed into a sport by the shooting gods. So if you are at a shoot and see a kid shooting say hi and show an interest......It will go a lot further in keeping them interested then you might think!

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I also noticed that it was a lot more enjoyable to shoot with the younger shooters than it is with most older shooters, they're a lot less cranky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.