1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA shooters HB 2224 UPDATE on public land sale

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jack L. Smith, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

PA shooters, you may recall a prior posting. Please read below about protecting public and for shooters and conservation.

In 1959, PA passed the Donated and Dedicated Property Act PL 1772. This makes it hard for local politicians and public officials to sell parks, open space and trails.

HB2224 amends the DDPA. HB2224 is in the PA Senate and has already been put up for vote, which was an amendment. Now HB2224 can be passed as early as October 15 when the senate returns.

HB2224 makes it easier to sell trails, parks and space. Much of this public land may provide buffer zones for gun clubs & sportsman's associations across the state. Imagine if public and open space is nearby your club and on October 16 your politicians sell it to a developer who starts putting up the townhouses or condos. How much longer will you be able to shoot there?

Cash strapped municipalities will gladly sell land to solve short term budget problems. Hungry developers will hover around offering cash to local politicians to sell OUR LAND.

HB2224 removes many of the protections provided in the 1959 DDPA law, including removing the PA (Orphan's) court review for the process.

If selling public parks and trails for cash isn't bad enough, and potentially impacting our ability to shoot, consider that HB will prevent further acquistion of land or open space.

Why would a benevolent land owner, grant, leave, deed or sell land to their local government, if that government can turn right around and sell the open space for cash or development?

Please see the url above and find out who your PA senator is and contact them and voice your opinoin to protect our land. This bill is real and in play right now! PA Senators are considering how to vote or oppose this bill or not.

Don't be mislead - some are saying this won't effect you, or this is just for "some swmap land in Erie" !

That rumor is wrong - right now an open space park in Chester County (Kardon Park)is up for sale & development, bordering along the Brandywine Creek!

If you value your publc land, and want to protcect our buffer zones and shooting areas, act now.

If HB2224 passes, what is next? Selling PA State Game lands? PA state parks ?

please help

Also, if any of you are PSSA officers, or PA Fed of Sportsman's Clubs officers, OR an officer of a gun local club, please act and rally your members.

js in PA

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I agree completely, count me in.

3. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

John Galt, I guess I don't understand your post. This (my)posting is about pending legislation (HB2224) in a state filled with local effected gun clubs and ATA shooters. Plus it has the added element of the politics between the local officials, and the developers seeking to buy public land.

How could that possibly be posted anywhere else except in the thread for Politics and Legislation? It sure doesn't fit for sale, want to buy, shooting related, or shoots ????

Where (else) should it be posted?

John - Perhaps you would kindly consider removing your post from this thread(with wording which I find offensive) as it does not seem to apply accurately here, thanks.

This bill, HB2224, is a time sensitive legislative issue here in PA, and if you are not effected or a PA resident, please remove your post as it is a distraction to this important thread, thanks again!

js in PA

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Jack,

Your intelligence is obviously, way over his head. You have posted in the correct section. Thanks for doing so.

The problem is this section has been taken over by the non-shooting political format. So to be honest, because your topic is actually trapshooting related, it could be in that section (Shooting Related). It more than likely will turn into a political blame fest, and end up way off point anyway.

5. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

The vote will be close. Click the url above and click again on October 1. See vote for Peleggi amdendment to see how each PA senator voted on HB2224 amdending 1772 last Monday October 1. ( the vote was to amend 1772 with HB2224 to allow easier sale of public lands and parks).

You can check for yourself and see if your senator voted Yea (for the bill to amend 1772 = bad) or Nay (against amending 1772/2224 and to keep the process and controls of 1772 in place protecting the land = good).

We want a nay (n) vote, or the bill to not come to a vote at all.

This is going to be a swing of only about 4 or 5 votes, so each vote is vital and your opinion, called into your senator or emailed into your senator is important.

I am not a lobbyist - I am a fellow shooter ATA 8103097 trying to inform my fellow sportsmen and protect private gun clubs, ATA clubs, buffer zones and our public parks and public land!

thanks,

js in PA

6. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

TTT Thanks for reading this.

7. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

PA Shooters & gun club members ...Thanks for all of your efforts so far. We could use some more actvivity though.

On October 3rd, the following State Senators (below) voted for the HB2224 amendment to sell public parks, land, open space and trails. Note the gun clubs in their district. If you haven't voiced your opinion to them yet, NOW is the time!

Palmyra Gun Club Senator Folmer Dist 48 voted YES, in favor of HB2224 amendment

Delaware County Sportsmans, and Delaware County Field & Stream - Delaware Co. Senators Peliggi and Erickson voted YES in favor of HB2224 to allow easy public land sale.

Bucks Co. F&G - Sen Mclhinney voted YES for HB2224 amendment.

Valley GC / Elysburg - Senator Gordner voted YES to amend 2224 to open up selling public land.

How did your Senator vote? What is your senator's position on protecting gun club buffer zones and public open space?

Please call your Senator and find out their position on HB2224 & express your opinion.

Thank You !!

js in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.