1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA shooters, HB 2224 Petition to sign - ! NEW !

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jack L. Smith, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Fellow PA shooters, a few months ago, the PA House of Representatives passed HB 2224. This bill now sits in the PA Senate which starts up again on Monday September 24th. (next Monday)

See petition above to open and sign. See signature area on the right side of the petition for details and comments.

Here is the issue:

HB 2224 ( & the Senate version) amends legislation passed in 1959 (P.L. 1772 No 670). This legislation impacts many gun club or shooting facilities.

P.L. 1772 restricts local municipalities and local officials from selling public land, parks, trails, hiking areas, conservation zones, etc. It requires a certain process to be followed and disputes are handled by judicial review throught the PA orphans's courts system. This is part of the Public Trust Doctrine, and Donated & Dedicated Property Act (DDPA of PA)

The (existing) law makes it hard for local politicians or short term elected commissioners to sell off our public property (land/trails etc.) It is not impossible to sell public land, it is restricted and hard to sell it - as it should be, in my opinion.

The pending legislation HB2224 & senate version, removes the restrictions and even removes the court system from the selling and review process. This encourages local politicians to sell our land & parks to developers for cash and quick development.

Local politicians can get cash for their town and solve short term budget problems by selling off our parks, and land. If passed, this will encourage builders and developers to hover around our politicians and make offers to buy available or UN-Available publicly owned land.

Once the land, or parks, or trails are sold, & the condo's are built or offices are up, this is irreversable.

Is there a worse abuse of the "Public Trust" than to sell off our public parks, trails and land for cash for short term political purposes?

To us shooters, residents, conservationists and sportsman, this is bad.

More importantly, many gun clubs are boardered by public land, or they shoot nearby public land, trails, or parks. If these areas are sold, this may force many clubs right out of business; they'll lose their buffer zones.

Here is the issue TODAY - the PA Senate can add this bill as an ammendment or rider to the PA state budget, which must pass by law to balance the state budget. This could happen as early as Monday Sept 24th.

This new amendment may be proposed as a floor amendment at the last minute and pass without any public review or input!

ACTION - we need to act. We need to contact our local PA senator's offices and make noise opposing this legislation. We need to contact the PSSA and get their PR or lobbying stength to help NOW !

My local club in Montgomery Co. has a public park/trail system as a border and if that ever gets sold - it would cause a big problem

I am sure many other trap or gun clubs in PA have public land as a buffer or nearby, that if developed - would cause a big problem. This is a real threat folks. Even selling public parks nearby a shooting grounds could cause the club problems.

Who among our readers has any contacts in the PSSA or other organizations that can help on this??

We need to start activity, get the press involved, and spread the word. We have to make calls, send emails, stir the pot ASAP.

PS - this is not a R or D thing; HB 2224 was bipartisian, but an R dominated sponsored bill. This is an attempt to rewrite existing law that prevents locals from easily selling land to get cash. It can really hurt sportsman, shooters and outdoors people across the state. It sets into motion an easier process to sell parks, trails, - what is next - PA State Game lands ? State parks ?

We must act - PM me or email me fast at jsmith@thesalesceo.com. I live in Delaware Co, but we must reach out today. I can email you back with HR 2224, and an analysis as support materials for you to see and send to others that can help.

Contact your PA Senator today or tomorrow !

Please act and help!

js in PA
    jsmith@thesalesceo.com

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Not to mention, the trips and kick-backs the politicians will receive!

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Do you think "maybe" there's also some skulduggery afoot and politicians want to buy that land for their own personal gain--or sell it to foreign countries. Either way WE lose. Ross Puls

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Ross - I won't allege anything except that this is potentially really bad for residents, sportsman, shooters and conservationists in PA. This amendment is an attempt to override a case where Erie tried to sell a muni golf course and the PA Supreme court disallowed the sale. It would be a 'get cash quick solution for local governments, while hurting the local residents for ever.

Imagine the precedent this sets if allowed to get momentum.

I urge all PA readers here to consider the potential abuse if this passes - and contact your PA state senator ASAP. Who do YOU know that can help?

As Will Rogers said - '...land, they ain't makin' any more of it...'

Let us show the light on this before it is too late!

js in PA

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I live in Md and hate to hear this because so much of our public land is already been whittled away...Pa is a beautiful place with lots of natural locations to go recreate...dont let the politicos rob you of what belongs to you!

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I feel your pain copper-------- not really! Where do you think the gas to heat your home comes from, Obama's rectum?

8. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Folks, could we get back on topic here? Thanks.

The issue is for PA shooters to contact their state senator or their clubs & organizations and get activity going against this pending legislation before it is too late - which could be Monday the 24th.

Please put a post here if you have done this, what your senator's response was or if you have any other pertenant comments, thanks!

Please act !!!

js in PA

9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

dave, a faster way to get action is for each reader here in PA( with over 600 views so far)to take my posting and forward it to their club and contact their PA senator by themselves TODAY.

So far not one reader here has contacted me to get the bill or attachments I have offered.

Maybe some have gone ahead and started activity in their own club's email list, or contacted their PA seantor, but I have seen no activity or response posted here.

This is a little concerning.

PA Readers, if you value access to shooting and protection of public parks, trails and gunclub buffer zones, please act today, and post back here!

js in PA

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

not just gun clubs...get the tree huggers in on it too..as well as any local conservation organizations...and yes I happen to believe this fracking stuff cant be good for any living thing anywhere near it..my cousin lives up in there and is dealing with water that is yellow and smells to high heaven of sulpherous gas..he wants to sell and move but who in their right mind would give him a dime to move in among that crap

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Here is the petition to sign opposing HB 2224.

Please open, review and see the signature area on the right of the petition.

thanks,

Please forward to others !

js in PA

13. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Copper This is great thanks for your efforts !

Perhaps other readers here will do that and also acccess the petition and sign against this bad PA legislation.

We appreciate your efforts

js in PA

14. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Update - about 115 Pennsylvanians have signed the petition against HB2224. Most are from the Chester Co area, some other areas. Not many ts.com trapshooters have signed.

There have been over 1300 'views' of this topic here, but not much action. Why is this?

I had hoped more shooters and outdoors people would sign the petition.

Gov. Corbett and the PA Senate won't care too much if only a few hundred people are against this bill allowing open season on selling YOUR land, parks and trails.

If you are interested in protecting gun clubs, shooting noise buffers, and open space in PA, click the site, read and sign the petition.

Quick math says there are several hundred PA readers here, and each one probably belongs to a gun club. Why can't we get 100 x 100 members to sign and circulate the petition. 100 x 100 is 10,000 signers.

A lot of our public land has been donated or sold for $1 to local municipalities. If HB 2224 is passed, why would anybody offer free or low cost land for ipen space, if the local politicians can turn around and sell it to developers? HB2224 would put a stop to PA land acquisitions.

Do you want your local govenment to sell local parks and open space to the gas companies and condo developers? Well, if not, do something about it.

Let's get 10,000 signatures fast ! This should be easy!

read sign and circulate!

js in PA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.