1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA Hunting licenses and your SSN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

Not sure when this started possibly last year but the governor of PA made it mandatory that in order for one to get a hunting license one needed to supply a SSN. His claim is that it iwll help trackdown deadbeat parents NOT paying child support but i am not buying that I think he has a hidden agenda in that now he knows who has firearms in his state. Has this practice of hidden "gun registration" through hunting license procurement occurred inother states? Does anyone agree with my theory or am I worrying about nothing?

Travis

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You are NOT worrying unnecessarily. How many times have we heard in the past about some MAJOR government organization, or Fortune 500 company that inadvertantly let thousands of veterans, customers etc. personal information out. OOPS! There is no reason they need a SSN. A valid drivers license or state ID card serves the same purpose.

JK

3. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

RBur from now on I am going to follow suit. These anti's don't care if we have protection because the people they associate with will be armed by people they associate with I meanthey have law enforcement around them so they will be protected but not people like oyu and I. Have oyu had to do this in our state?

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They don't seem to get upset apout 25 illeagles sharing some bogus #

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Has this practice of hidden "gun registration" through hunting license procurement occurred inother states? Does anyone agree with my theory or am I worrying about nothing?</I>

You're applying for a hunting license, not registering a weapon. In PA, during the regular season you can hunt with a musket, a bow or an atlattel in addition to a rifle. No one knows what you use so a list of hunting license holders is not necessarily a list of firearms owners.

The requirement for an SSN is part of a federal law (title 42) that deals with child support. This is not a requirement set forth by individual States. Here is an excerpt from the Georgia regulations:

<I>"General Information

The 2002 session of the Georgia General Assembly amended Title 19, which deals with domestic relations and child support, to require that all persons buying any license or permit under Title 27 (Game and Fish Code) must furnish their Social Security Number (SSN) prior to the purchase of any such license or permit. This was done so as to bring Georgia into compliance with federal law (Title 42) , which compels all states to adopt procedures for collecting SSNs from persons procuring commercial, professional or recreational licenses and permits. The purpose of both laws is to enhance and improve the enforcement of child support laws.

No hunting, fishing or other wildlife-related license can be issued to anyone who possesses a valid SSN, but refuses to provide it to an authorized license agent.

No dissemination of the SSN to any entity other than the Department of Human Resources is permitted, unless by court order."</I>

The specific section of federal law involved can be found in US Code, Title 42 (Public Health and Welfare), Chapter 7 (Social Security), SubChapter 4, Part D, Section 13, para. A :
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/42/chapters/7/subchapters/iv/parts/d/sections/section_666.html :

<I>"(13) Recording of social security numbers in certain family matters. -

Procedures requiring that the social security number
    of -
    (A) any applicant for a professional license, driver's
    license, occupational license, recreational license, or
    marriage license be recorded on the application;..."</I>

I believe that only the Federal Government can require an individual to provide their SSN. Given a choice, I'd probably apply for a license on-line as it eliminates the paper record that floats around the gun shop in a big binder for years where anyone can look at it.

Morgan

6. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Hunting down men who father childen and then run away, do nothing for those children...everything is fair. It it helps to require a SS# to find them, go for it. They're scum, and deserve no rights at all.

7. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

NJ has been doin it for several years now.They also do it for driver license.All to catch up with the deadbeat dads and moms.I say go for it they are scum.If you think in this day and age of technology that they dont know everything about you,then you are livin in a dream world.They know more about you then you do.....Don

8. nicky

nicky Member

I agree with Travis I don't like giving out info that I feel they don't need. However, here we go again, things have changed in a big way in the last five years or so. We keep letting the system more and more put their thumbs on us all for good of society, to keep us safe, to protect us from ourselfs. I feel a valid drivers license should be enough to trace someone. And then make the court's do their job's. But then again I suppose a 82 year old man that lost his drivers license because of the effects of aging could now be found through his hunting license to pay his child support. Or maybe, just maybe there are more people with hunting license's in the state of Pennsylvania than with drivers license's. As far as the Federal law title 42, if they want someone's s.s.n. I say, look it up, they tell us our s.s.n.'s are everywhere if someone really wants to find it, rather then having to write it on even more papers to be have'd by even more people. Kevin

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Geez ... I can see kind of how many stay at home in a bunker waiting to defend there rights and home from the invading government.

10. nicky

nicky Member

Lump, be careful if the G-men think you have a bunker they just might not knock and I don't think they'll be stopping for coffee when they do. After searching back and reading all of the Lumper's postings who knows what they'll be thinking ? Lumper keep your head down, LOOK OUT LUMP HERE THEY COME !!!!!!!!

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

I can see them ... they are at the edge of the mine field ... but they will never find me ... I moved into my tree house camyflaged as a big bird ostrich nest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.