1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA Grand

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Shotgun5, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgun5

Shotgun5 Member

I would like to thank R J STUART and the PA GRAND for a great way of running a shoot.The one thing i can count on coming to the shoot and knowing that i always have a bank to shoot on!!! Bank 6,7,and down on Bank 10,11,or 12. I really love knowing that i pay the same as all the big dogs,but you tell me where iam going to shoot!! And don't tell me to pre-squad and get what i want because that dosen't do it eather. I have sent in the $2.00 per and even had a full squad and still don't get 1,2,3,or4 as we asked for.I told them on friday that i didn't care if it was the last squad of the day, as long as i could get the squad on 1,2,3,or 4. My ans: was no!!!! They were told that they could not open any on those banks. If you have so much trouble filling those banks maybe someone should come up with the the idea of lowing the target price on those traps and you will fill them.There is always people who will shoot on those traps if it is less money.But you don't care that people just say to hell with the shoot and just go home!! When you are paying $27.00 for targets you should beable to shoot where you like!!! Put a little more through in to your next shoot and if you want to fill those banks than lower the price on the targets and will take care of the problem of filling those banks.

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Shotgun5 - a small correction for you, The shoot is run by PSSA, RJ Stuart is just the cashier, not a part of the decision making.

when shooting on bank 6, remember that this is also the shootoff bank and you are getting in shape for the winners circle. In the late afternoon, bank 10 is far better than anywhere on the top line. So it isn't all bad.

As far as the squadding requests go - they have to keep number of squads on the banks even. Cannot open traps for a new flight if the (currently last) one is not filled yet. How to get onto 1, 2, or 3 - or even 4 has never been clear to me. At the PA state shoot, I showed up on K-gun Friday but I got onto bank 2 in an early squad for championship singles - go figure. The weekend before (Colonial), three of us were able to squad together and shoot handicap on bank 2. I don't know the secret - if I did, I would not post it (but would send you a pm).

Better luck at the Westy Hogan.

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I've been planning to come to Elysburg hopefully to make the Westy. Whats the deal with banks 1-4?

--- Chip King ---

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The PSSA part of Elysburg is built on the top of a valley (the Valley Gun Club to be specific). Generally speaking, Banks 5 - 8 have a drop-off into the valley just past the 50 yard stake - maybe 60 to 65 yards. the banks continue to climb in elevation from 5 to 8. so although each bank is at the same height - there is a height difference between them. so there is a real drop between trap 4 of bank 7 and trap 4 of bank 6. That means more wind effects - particularly in the afternoon. Banks 1 - 4 do not have dropoffs behind the fields. Important to note that the entire PSSA line of traps (1 - 8) faces west. so late in the afternoon it becomes harder to see. better off down below in the Valley club - those fields face north - except that bank 12 is next to the practice traps. Lots of the big dogs shoot on banks 1-4. Many people wonder why they are the first in the squadding line but cannot get those banks but the big dogs seem to be able to get on them without a problem (this is just my observation and is not a statement of fact or complaint).

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A lot of people believe the lower-numbered banks are better. In what way, I never figured out. I've shot just as badly there as on any other bank. But they are considered the premium banks by many.

I used to have my Friday afternoons free, so I would drive up to Elysburg the Friday afternoon prior to first day of the state shoot (now the Colonial Classic) to get myself and my squadmates classified and squadded when the office opened at 6:00 p.m. primarily to get the RV crowd done before the rest of us showed up Saturday morning. I was anywhere from the first person in line to the third and was always told that there were no squads available on banks 1, 2 and 3 for the entire nine-day state shoot.

Now, more did become available as Stuart opened more squads during the week but they always blamed the early sell-out of those banks on pre-squadding. Funny thing is, you hear a lot of folks complain that they can't get the banks and squad times they want when they pre-squad. Some people claim favoritism on the part of the PSSA toward their officers and the sport's large canines but you know how rumors are...

I found the lower banks better. There's less of a crowd down there, the sun is behind you from about 11:00 a.m. on and some people think the wind affects the targets less on those banks. When I shot the singles championship, I would try to get a squad that shot its first 100 on an upper bank and its second 100 on one of the lower banks so we had optimum lighting.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.