1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PA Grand Special Event Results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Does anyone happen to know the results?

Jon Reitz

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I can't give you the name, John; but it was the 18 1/2hcp junior shooter that signed up at the last minute. His brother entered him, and bought him for $15, then he shot on a very late squad, I'm told. His 98 was high and they took all the money home with them. I don't expect us PA boys understand Calcutta's all that well, yet; but we got an education, yesterday....grin.

I'll be working on my reduction and name change, getting ready for next year, so Barb can buy me, and... WE'LL BE RICH.....WOO-HOO!!!

BTW, we think attendance was down, a little, but expect it to be way up,next year, because of the Calcutta. It's my understanding the Grand was PA's money shoot, in the old days.

best....mike

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Calcutta's are a great thing...and could be a boon to the trapshooting community.

We fish some tournaments in the Keys and the calcutta's will run in excess of $100K and most are $250K +.

This amount of money will never be seen at a trapshoot no matter the size.

Curt

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Curt, actually the 100K figure has been seen in trap and in recent times in Vernal.

5. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Yep, the Pa. GRAND, in the early years was the MONEY SHOOT! Even had a HALF BARREL of beer tapped for the Calcutta! And then came the BEER POLICE!

6. Dusted1

Dusted1 TS Member

Yes the old Pa Grand was quite a shoot. It was a 200 bird handicap and shooters came from all over to shoot it. We had a lot of vendors too, not like it is today.

7. zinger

zinger Member

Mike, actually Jim Youd won with the lone 98, he's not a junior and he didn't sign up at the last minute and he's not on the 18yd line. I'm thinking your story was just that...a story?

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Zinger, you should contact the PSSA and get them to correct their reports. James P. Youd jr. was punched 1.5 yards from the 18.5 to the 20 yard line. Either he is a junior or a old man to be standing on the 18 yard line and shooting handicap.

9. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Curt $100,000 is the Captain's tip in the White Marlin Open, of course if trap guns were as expensive as marlin boats I would be out of the trap shooting game.

10. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Save your selves allot of aggravation, Put the name into the ATA SHOOTERS INFORMATION center!

11. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Excellent, Jim Youd won. I shoot with Jim often. I think he is a 20 or 20.5. Super nice guy and a lovely wife too. Good shooting Jim! And if his brother bought him, well good call Tim! Tim posted a 97 at the Ohio State shoot, looks like it rubbed off on Jim.

Courtney

12. zinger

zinger Member

Jim is my neighbor at PSSA so I know he's not a junior....and I wouldn't call him an old man either! I'm happy he won!

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

It sure takes a lot of hard work and dedication to shoot your way to the 18 1/2!!

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Andy, I always thought any male between the ages of 18-65 were only allowed to shoot handicap at no less then the 20 yard line. Have they changed the rules?

15. oleolliedawg

Great question. I don't have the current rulebook in front of me. As we know, the rules seem to change without notice!!

16. TjayE

TjayE Member

According to Bob Stuart's results from the PA Grand, Jim Youd shot from the 18.5 yard line. Jim broke 98 out of 100 handicap targets and was high score in the Calcutta. Jim earned 1.5 yards for his 98 and will now be shooting on the 20.0 yard line.

17. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Statistics for James P. Youd Jr - #9603173

Handicap Yardage: 18.5 Membership Paid: Yes

Year Singles
    Shot Singles
    % Handicap
    Shot Handicap
    % Doubles
    Shot Doubles
    %
    Change page: < 1 2 > | Displaying page 1 of 2, items 1 to 10 of 14.
    Lifetime 5500 N/A 4900 N/A 800 N/A
    2011 1800 91.44% 2100 89.29% 0 N/A
    2010 3000 91.60% 2000 87.20% 500 69.20%
    2009 700 89.86% 700 84.43% 300 73.00%

18. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

WAY TO GO Jimmie Jr..!!!! Yaa paid your money and shot the winning score!!! That's what a calcutta is all about...."run'em"....PS you can always tell who the "cry babies" are...................

19. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Ollie -

I have to disagree with your assertion that you don't have a rulebook in front of you. If you are on ts.com, then you have a rulebook in front of you.

http://www.shootata.com/Content/About_The_ATA/ATA_Rule_Book.aspx

You can follow the link (also posted above) to the ATA website that has the rulebook in on-line form. It even has a list of rule changes for the current target year.

Scott

20. oleolliedawg

Scott,

I try to comment about things about which I'm feel reasonably sure to be correct. I expected someone else to reassure us that the rules for allowing the winner to shoot from the 18 1/2yd. line were followed correctly. Since he may have been actually classified by the current ATA Treasurer or his assistants, it didn't seem such a flagrant error could be possible. That said, it must have been quite an effort for a grown individual to shoot that outstanding score from such short yardage. I commend his accomplishment!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.