1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P232 vs PPK/S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

I was told a SIG P232 is SAFER than a Walther PPK/S. If true, would someone please elaborate as to why. Many thanks. John

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The PPK is a proven design and has been around since at least the early
    30's. It has a manual safety/decocking lever plus a firing pin safety. It
    also has a "loaded chamber indicator". It can rightfully be called a "classic". You can't say the same about the Sig.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I don't know about safety, but I LOVE my P230. Shooting the PPK was not fun and hurt like hell, the P230 is just a joy to shoot and the fit and finish is amazing.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Walther offering, especially in 380, suffers from unreliable function. The Sig works with about any ammo.

Many Walther's will not work properly, even with hardball. I will not work on them to improve their reliability. This is often a lost cause.

5. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

No comparison....The Sig is a better designed firearm with much better trigger than the Walther as well! I like the Sig p238....

6. FIB

FIB Member

I've owned both. The Walther is definately a classic! Many of it's features are still revolutionary especially considering that it was invented in the '30's. Having said that I thought the P230/232 was a better modern firearm especially w/HP ammo. Both are excellent CC pieces and their construction is top notch!

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have no experience with Sig's, but have a 380 PPK. If you have large hands you don't want one. The slide will rub across the top of the hand between the thumb and index finger. If you are lucky it will only burn from friction, otherwise it will do some damage. I am unaware of "unrealiable function."

8. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I've had the P230 & PPK. I don't have large hands and still got a good dose of slide burn from both guns, main reason I don't have them anymore. PPK is classic and has several nice features, I didn't like the decocking lever location. I thought then and still do that the P230 was a far superior gun in every aspect. I ran probably 2000+ rounds through both guns, no reliability problems with either. I recently shot the PK380 and did NOT like it at all. Very hard recoil and nearly impossible to get a controlled second shot. That is a definite "try before you buy" gun.

Hal Hitchcock

9. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I had a PPK. It would never get through a clip without jamming. Ammo didn't matter, it just wouldn't feed more than 5 rounds in a row. I finally got rid of it after a lot of work trying to correct the problem. Now I have a Bersa Thunder which fires every time.

Vince McNamara

10. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Sig P239 in .40 cal...Specially designed for off duty concealed carry that packs allot of punch...

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have both. The Sigs are my preferred piece out of the two. What I had heard, is that there is a possibility that the Walther could fire if dropped hard enough. I've never tested that theory, nor have I looked at the mechanisms close enough to analyze if it would be possible. If anyone knows for sure, I'd love to know. The PPK/S is a great firearm for it's time. The Sigs appear to fit and function better. I don't get the same sensation of recoil with the Sigs as I do from the Walther. I must be lucky, since my Walthers appear to work as intended. Very few malfunctions, if any that I can recall, even with some fairly radical hollow point stuff.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The poster who mentioned the little Bersa is right. These inexpensive guns work. I am sure there are a few Walther's out there that work. There are many more that don't.

No need for a gun as big as either of these in 380. There are 9X19's out there that are about the same size.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The 230, 232 and the PPK are all safe and great guns to have. I will trust all of them.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The PPK is quite controllable in .32 ACP. It can be a handful in .380.

The PPK/S and PP are much easier to control, and have less harsh recoil, in .380.

I'm down to only one PPK at the moment, and that's a rare one in .22 LR. Utterly reliable and accurate.

The P230 is a better gun. Modern design, proven, reliable, accurate, controllable and not harsh to shoot. There are a lot of gals packing these for CCW.

15. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Really like my PPK/S but of course it sports a nice set of custom Exhibition english walnut grips whick make it much more comfortable to shoot. No malfuntions with mine and one of the trimmest easy to carry pcs you could ever find. I think this is what made it such a hit in the first place. And it packs a decent punch if ever needed and is fairly accurate. Trigger is excellent something sorely lacking in many other so called premium pistols! Phil S.Stockmaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ppk vs p230

sig p230 vs ppks