1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

P/W ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The hulls are riding too high in the dies and leaving a "lip" that does not want to compress well. Adjust the hieght of your shells. Rick ~~Texas

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Squirt about 8-10 shells with WD40, then load them.

Chances are your dies are just new and need to be worn-in.

Also, the hulls could have been shot in a gun with a larger than normal chamber, thus swelling the brass a bit.

I am assuming that you are reloading a correct load and not trying to stuff too much into the hull.

It should take a tad bit of pressure to dump the reload, but nothing more noticeable than any other hull, as long as the hull is BRASS and not brass plated steel.

Whiz<BR>
    P/W Distributor

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The old style AAs always stick in the die more than the new stle, as well as all the other hulls.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Boy, I just don't have a lick of a problem using any of the AA's, FGMP, FP, Nitros, STS, etc.

I load only once-fired AA's and have probably 30K-35K old style once-fired and maybe 10K of the new HS AA hulls. None stick in my reloader and I've had four new reloaders in the past couple of years running here at the shop.

In fact I am now just starting to reload AA's for pheasants. I have only reloaded for trap for the past 35 years, but am not doing the pheasant thins. I am using an extremely healty load of 800X, WW12R Red wad, adn 1 3/8 oz #4. The reloads are absolutely perfect.

Whiz

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bruce. Can the AAs and go to STS

[​IMG]

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz gave good advice. Keep the dies clean and a very light lube now and then helps. WD 40 will help clean and lube the dies at the same time.

I have never loaded shells with steel heads. They may be different. Would I have to press harder on the floor pedal that activates my hydraulic system if I were to load shells with steel heads?

Pat Ireland

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gary Bulley who goes by ( UNLOADER) and posted above makes a neat tool to remove the stuck hulls if you have one bulging over the sides. This does not sound like your problem and I believe Whiz gave you a good fix but you will get a severely stuck hull at some time and the tool is a must have. Thx Gary for sending me mine. Before doing what Whiz advises, run a bore brush on a drill with some fine steel wool wrapped around it in the dies, then use the WD trick but be advised that sts hulls after being lubricated may crush near the base. I believe it is because it is slippery but at any rate, just run a few through and use the UNLOADER to cut them up and keep going. I use papers and it does not have any effect on the hulls but sts always seem to fold when lubed.

8. wm rike

wm rike Member

In my little corner of the world the last station is responsible for most of the effort to operate the 800+. New hulls, old dirty ones, whatever. It's the lay of the land. It stands to reason that since the dies are resizing the metal heads on the hulls, each and every one of those heads is an interference fit. The fact that you have resized the head by sticking it into the dies does not change that bit about the interference fit.

Once-fired hulls will commonly cycle more easily as they usually haven't been as badly blown out of shape. Variances in chamber size may mean that some guns will generate shells that will size harder than others. Hulls that have first been run through a MEC collet sizer are the easiest to eject.

9. STOS

STOS Member

WD-40 may work fine as a cleaner but never use it for lubrication as it will build up and become hard.Use a good gun oil such as rem oil.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Bruce,

Are you using AA's or the hulls from their promo shells?

AA's should not require excessive force to eject from the dies. I have never used the steel based Winny hulls but have loaded many Gun Clubs.

I use Imperial Sizing Wax on the dies at the start of my session and I have a cleaning brush on my 800+ with a couple of wraps of absorbent cloth tied to it. I put a few drops of the lubricant Spolar sells on the cleaning brush every hour (500 rounds). No issues with steel based GC's.

I think I got the cleaning brush from Whiz.

Don Verna

11. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I would check to see if the dies are lined up with the holes. One of the hulls mite be catching on the base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.